Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Guys Who Cook

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys Who Cook

The Dutchoven is the way to go. There are lots of recipes.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Guys Who Cook

Dutch oven... Beans to chili to kick a$$ stews, also makes a good fry pan... Road kill possom' and sum fatback be gud too.

Old 03-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Guys Who Cook

YES...The Dutch Oven is the King of Camp Cookin'!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

It is the best way to cook out in the woods...it really is a lost art. I camp with a group who loves to eat GOOD FOOD. We all bring our Dutch Ovens of various sizes and try to OUT do each other. A major cook off!!!

You can bake, fry, slow cook just about any meal with a little practice.

Here is a website to get you started...Lodge Dutch Ovens...there are tips, techniques, and recipes here. Once you get started cookin' in the dutch you may never want to use a regular oven again.

My wife loves it when I break out the Dutch...Here's a couple pics of my garage chili and dutch bisquits and gravy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2003, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guys Who Cook

Hey ken,
Are you serious about the hydrogen gas?
I had a mre for the first time saturday.
It was cheese ravolis and a bunch of other stuff,
pretty neat set up, But if the heater does put off gas
the things I could do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
My next door neighbor gets them all the time.
Ahh the thoughts and paybacks.
Thank you very much Ken.

Dana

Old 04-01-2003, 05:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Guys Who Cook

Originally posted by: CampCook700
MMMMMMMmmmmmmm. I'm interested.
is anyone else getting turned on? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Guys Who Cook

burritos

black beans, cheese, rice, meat (whatever you like,,,,the least messy the easier)

make tham at home, wrap individually in paper towels and fill a ziploc bag. (small burritos)

set them next to the fire to warm whenever hungry

other than that,,,,,

coffee
dry oatmeal
raman noodles

these three things are great when its cold (and light to pack)

you can never go wrong with a can of pork and beans (for emergencies)

Old 04-01-2003, 02:34 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guys Who Cook

Bread, cheese, bologna, Coke, Captain Morgan & Lots of Beer!!! What more do ya need!!!

Oops, sorry that's for the guy weekends. Same thing for the family just add some meat and veggies!

Old 04-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Guys Who Cook

God bless the Captain Morgans. Cabelas has a gas operated blender. Got one last year, a frozen margarita in the desert hits the spot like nothing else!! Heres the original that I bet no one has eaten. MUTTON (a ewe sheep that didn't reproduce that season that is fed on the mountain in the summer then brought back to be grain fed for 3 weeks before slaughter). Chops are put in the dutch oven with enough grease(crisco) to cover 1/3-1/2 of oven. Cover, put on a camp chef on medium heat and cook until the grease turns clear then cook 10 min. more. Accompany this dish with potatoes cut into cubes cooked in butter and one beer until tender. Cover the potatoes with 2 cans green chilies, and cover with cheddar/jack cheese, cover and cook until cheese is fully melted. Serve with sourdough biscuit and a choice of beverage (diet coke and VO). The colesterol count will skyrocket, but you only live once!!!!!

Old 04-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Guys Who Cook

Is that the same gas blender as in the back of Hot Boat mag? The one with the twist grips....as the "Does that thing have a Hemi guys say"....Sweeet!

Dana, yes, those heaters really do put out hydrogen....actually quite dangerous. With just a glowing ember on the end of a lonnnnng stick, Kaboom!!! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! There my lawyer's disclaimer. Ranks right up there with dry ice bombs that used to go around the hangar....by someone else of course. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ah yes, chemistry 101. And don't even get me started about the lighting farts....ooops, family show out da window. hehe

Old 04-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Guys Who Cook

Ken,

I guy I knew in the National Guard showed me how to blow up two liter Pepsi bottles with them (MRE heaters). Not so much with the hydrogen gas, but with the pressure. If it doesn't explode, throw it in a fire. That'll wake up the neighbors! Sorry, just my Beavis & Butthead side showing (huh,huh,huh).

Getting bact to the subject of MRE food, does anyone besides me remember the dehydrated pork patties? When dry, they tasted like eating a big scab. Come to think of it, so did the beef patties.....

Quick Reply: Guys Who Cook