Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EXPEDITION 425 PROS AND CONS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2000 | 04:26 PM
|
Pro Rider

My buddy is looking at getting a Expedition 425 because he is getting ready to work for a new Polaris dealership in our area. It has the features that we look for, (I have a y2Kodiak and swear by it) and I understand it's a new 5 speed. What's the deal on this quad?? It sounds like a good machine but I heard it didn't fair well on some shootouts. (although I think those shootouts are biased sometimes.). Any info. would be appreciated...

Old 04-25-2000 | 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

The xpedition 325 cc 5 speed did not fair well. Lets not get the 2 mixed up. Every magazine I have
read about my machine has been good. Even if it was not, I know better since I own one. the xpedition 425 cc 5-speed was built to be a very tough polaris utility atv, and it is. Mine has gone 57 mph. so it is also as fast as the other big utility atv's. If you like a 5 speed, you will
like the xpedition. The few of us that have them, like them. We like the 4-stroke, we like the water
cooled system, we like the shaft drive system. We like what this atv can do, and how comfortable it is to ride.

rangerchet, polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed

Old 04-25-2000 | 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Pros: 5 speed, I really don't care for automatics
Cons: I can't remember the dirt wheels article.

Dirt Wheels gave it a good revue. I would definetly stay away from the 325cc it got really bad reviews

Old 04-25-2000 | 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I never saw the Dirt Wheels review however I saw the ATV Action review and then the shootout against the Foreman450s. Although they gave the win to the Foreman the fact that they admitted it was a close call tells me it is a great machine. I bought mine after seeing the review and I love it.

Old 04-25-2000 | 09:23 PM
Range Rover

I've only got about 600 miles on mine. Had a Honda 450ES before. The Honda was like a tractor, even though I put Works Performance shocks on it, it still was a rough ride. Didn't like the pinion gear noise, either. Did like the electric shift, though. My Expedition has a wonderful ride, and actually seems lighter than the 450ES, although I know it isn't. I can ride further without getting tired, due to the better/long travel suspension. Mileage is good, too, and the exhaust is quieter than the Honda. A really nice machine, and I don't regret getting it for an instant. Just my 2 cents. I thought steering would be easier, due to the fact that it is 4WD only on demand. Guess the added weight makes it the same as the Honda was.

BTW, a stick went right through one of the stock tires this week, so I'm looking for some good ones to replace these stockers, which don't seem to have any cords inside.

Old 04-26-2000 | 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ihave had my Xpedition 425 for 2 months and have 120 miles on it. I LOVE IT and if given another $5,200 I'd buy a second one.
I was a little concerned with a first year 5-speed tranny by Polaris, however, 5-speed tranny's have been out for years on motorcycles, so I thought...how stupid could the Polaris' engineer's be?
PROS: TOO many to list, but:
1. It handles water GREAT
2. TRUE 4WD (not slip differential)
3. Quiet

CONS:
1. I'd like to have a fuel gauge, even one in the gas cap
2. I'd like an indicator light to show what gear you are in.
Both of these are features on the Artic Cat and I think are great
3. An outlet adaptor for a deer spotter
Other than that, I highly recommend this machine.

Old 04-28-2000 | 05:36 PM
|
Pro Rider

It sounds like a pretty nice bike, appreciate the info.

Old 04-28-2000 | 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I may not be an expert, but, I just bought a 2000 Xpedition 425 two weeks ago and already love it. I think everybody who buys a new ATV thinks that theirs' is the best. I read the 4-wheel ATV Action review and was overly impressed. If someone is looking for a fairly maintence free power machine this is it. I don't even have 50 miles on it and it has already gone 50mph and twice made it through where my brothers' GRIZZLY without "true four wheel-drive" hasn't. I think that my 8 months of extensive research has paid off. I really recommend the Polaris Xpedition 425!!!

Old 04-29-2000 | 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

If you are seriously concidering buying the Xpedition. My only suggestion to you would be to upgrade the tires before you ever left the dealership. Maybe the goodyear P, or mudrunners. In my opinion those Dunlops are garbage. They perform well, but are low quality. I got a puncture on my first long ride. They also make the quad steer like a tractor. everyone's always asking if I've been lifting weights. hehe
Other than that, if you like to shift. I don't think you could find a better shifting bike out there. You'll be amazed where this thing will take you, and back.
From the info I've gathered from owners on this forum, nobody is experiencing any failures.
Polaris done good with this one.

Brian

Old 05-01-2000 | 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Since this seems to be the semi-official 425 Expedition Post, I ask- Can the Reverse-override
button be used to lock the front hubs in 4-wheel drive(By backing up and keeping it depressed) for tough downhills as it can on Auto 4x4 Polarises? We are about to trade in my son's Trail Boss, which has been a good rig for the money, on a new
425 Expedition, and wondered if this trick will work with the 5-speed. Thanks---Later

Quick Reply: EXPEDITION 425 PROS AND CONS