Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping?

Again brand new 03' 700 right out of the box. I understand and notice the clunk which is the machine engaging , but after that when I start to roll I can feel a click click click in the drive system. It is worse the with slight inclines and the quicker I give it gas. After a few miles an hour it goes away and everything is smooth. I am going back to the dealers today to show them. Just thought throw it out to you guys.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch Slipping?

It could just be a lousy belt, or you may have dust or sumthin runin on yur clutchs

Old 04-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping?

The clunking is normal it is the sound of the rollers engaging on the secondary clutch.

The ROLLER is in contact with is in contact the helix ramp cut on the way down(upshift),and on the back cut side of the helix on backshift,or on any decelleration. At low speed on and off the gas the EBS secondary rotates it's sheaves back and forth as the roller moves back and forth in the helix notch .THIS is the annoying low speed CLUNK that a lot of Polaris riders (myself included)know very well. The belt is suposed to be tight on this system to keep close contact on the sprague of the primary clutch(notice the larger hub with grooves in the EBS primary) This CLUNK noise is more noticable on 600SP-700SP because of the two crown and pinion gears exagerate the clunk as compared to the chain drive case on a 500ho.Polaris used a straight up back cut on the engine brake side of the helix to shorten the distance that the roller(and sheave)travel on the 600-700 to help lessen the clunk on deceleration. Helix posted this in another forum, hope he doesn't mind me using it here to explain what you are hearing...

Hope this helps you understand what is going on.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch Slipping?

Thanks Scrambler
But I think this is different than what you are exsplaining. I took it to the dealer and they agree with me its not normal. They checked the belt and changed it. There was no aparent problem with the belt (i.e. low spots or defects). The new belt does the same thing, so the dealer said ride it and see if it goes away. What we think it is is a slipping of the belt on start off or anytime the machine is under a good load. Start up in high is a good load. I'm starting to feel it in low at start up. I really think the clutch is out of adjustment if there is one. They may have to replace it. If thats the case maybe I'll go with a hopped up clutch. Do you know of a hopped up clutch kits for these. The problem is only getting worse I believe. When I'm going in high at some good speeds the machine is fine.

Old 04-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping?

Did they check the alignment of the clutches?? It very well could be an alignment issue. With it being that new and clutches costing as much as they do, I would ask for them to replace them if they are in fact in proper alignment. Just my opinion.