Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question

i don't know what to say you but,let me say it run better with no oil-pump on it,but premix become an important factor in performances depending what ratio you'll be running,for long trip i would say stay with the injection,but if you're looking for a sporty ride the block off
is good,it shave off some really pounds in the front.

Old 08-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil Injection - To Block Off or Not To Block Off....That is the question

Maybe I can get some good answers here, I have an older polaris trailboss 250 r/es, it is a 1986, The quad has been abandoned and neglegted for many years now, has not started in about 10 years, I decided to get it back running and riding, The carb was screwed up then and that was part of the reason it wound up sitting at that point, I just bought a new/used carb and some other parts, I actually got it running on the old carb, but i did not let it run long, I needed to know it ran before I started buying more parts. The old carb it would not run unless the choke was on and even with the choke on it did not run good at all. The new/used carb is on it's way now, hopefully it is in better shape, I am mechanical and have the ability to figure out most problems, but carburetors confuse me and I dont know how to rebuild or rejet, I am hoping this new one is good. But my question is some friend recomend disabiling the old oil injection, because it may not be working or may fail due to age and neglect, I dont think they make a block off plate for such an old quad. Can I just undo the throttle cable attachment to it, and block off the oil line to it and Pre-mix, This is what I did to get it started last weekend. Can I just leave it that way and premix, and would I have to re jet, I dont want to have to figure out how to and what to re jet it to.
Thanks sorry for the long post.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

You could do that or you could cut the cable somewhere, or just tie it up out of the way. Make sure you close off the hole that the oil line goes to in the intake. Yes you will have to rejet because you will have more oil in the mixture which will displace gas and cause it to run lean. Jetting isn't that bad, it can be scary at first, but as long as you do one thing at a time and don't make drastic changes right off, it will not harm anything. Youy can check out www.partsland.com for some carb diagrams. I am sure one of the newer models uses the same carb as the one on yours. Here is a good article on carb tuning, read it, print it and refer to it as you go along. This page will show you what your plug should look like when you are properly tuned. I would also make sure your choke is adjusted correctly, you can do a search on this forum to find more info about the proper adjustment procedures. Good luck, take your time.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

This may or may not have any bearing guys but I do know that Polaris snowmachine oil injection injects a certain amount of oil directly on the crank main end bearings to lube them, if 4 wheelers operate the same way you might be in trouble removing the pump system?