Any Mecanics here

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Mecanics here

Hi

I,ve got a question for you.

My uncle has a 2002 3\4 ton dodge 4x4 truck with a diesel engine in it.Since it was new once a and while when driving over 60 mph if he hits a bunch of potholes (work truck) then front end starts bouncing around alot and will not stop till he brings it down to 20 mph.

It bounces so hard that everything in the truck (dash, under seat,on seat) ends up on the bottom of the floor and he says its very scary and dangerous,and he sometimes ends up in the other lane thank god no one was coming in the oppisite direction.

He brought it to the dodge shop were he bought it and they have replaced the coil springs and shocks with larger ones but he says its only worse.

They have called technisons from other dealers but can not find the problem.They finished by telling him that he will have to leave it like it is.He called a number on a dodge client card that he got with the truck and they told him to try to fix something out with the dealer and that they new what they were doing.

He has asked around to other owners that have 2001 and 2003 3\4 ton work trucks and no one else has had this problem.

I was wondering if you new what could cause this and if not would you mind giving me a number that my uncle could call .We have heard from other people that there are numbers you could call and that they will call the garage and tell them to fix it or else.

Thanks for the help ..

Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

the problem is those 5 little letters "dodge"

Old 04-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

A fairly common problem on the Dodge 4X4 trucks is the track bar. That is the bar, with ball joints at either end, that keep the front axle 'in line' with the frame. It attatches to the axle on one end, and the frame on the other. If one, or both of the ball joints works loose, it can cause problems just as you described. It actually happened to my uncle, who has a '97 or '98. He was pulling a trailer, and the front wheels seemed to just start 'bouncing' uncontrolably, almost running him off the road. After slowing down, it finally quit bouncing. A new track bar solved the problem.
To check the track bar, have someone move the steering wheel back & forth about 1/2 or 3/4 turn or so, and look carefully for ANY looseness. It doesn't take much to cause problems.

Farmr

Old 04-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Steering stablizer is shot. My first guess.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would have to agree with farmr123 on this one. It sound like the track bar. Since the dodges have coil springs up front instead of leaf springs, you need something to hold the axel in place, hence the track bar. I dont think that the steering stabalizer is the problem. Not all 4x4's have a steering stabalizer. My blazer didnt have one, I added it on myself. Plus, the stablizer wouldnt cause the fron end to bouce that violently.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Farmr123 ... the track bar could cause that .....

also .... it may need to be re-aligned

Old 04-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

that is the weirdest thing i ever heard, if it happened to me i would think the thing is possedsed or something

Old 04-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I know for a fact that Dodge has bought back a pile of 2500 series trucks for the same problem, don't let your dealer BS you, it is dangerous!

Old 04-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

yep

Old 04-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

Sorry i took so long guys,and thanks for the response.

The truck has been doing this since it was new, the first time at around 300 miles.The track bar was checked and it was ok , or that is what they said.There is a paved road with a bunch of potholes on his to work and the front wheels will start bouncing up and down every time if he hits it over 45 mph.

Very scary.

He can not beleive that no one has not had an accident yet because if you do not have both hands gripped hard on the steering wheel and your foot hard on the brakes, your going in the ditch.I've tryed emailing dodge a few times and have not had a responce yet.

What we need is a phone number to the big boss of dodge.

I've heard of many people with uncooperitive dealers (trucks,cars quads,or bikes) that have called these numbers and within a few days the dealers have called to fix the problem .

I know this is a quad forum but don't really know where to go besides here.Besides i have had lots of good advise here. Thanks again Steven

Quick Reply: Any Mecanics here