Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

front hub not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front hub not engaging

My front right hud quit engaging on me and when I got it home and taken apart (looked at the wires first looked ok)took it apart expecting to see the guts from the hub scattered but every thing looked good.Going to clean it up and put in a new seal while I have it apart. But after finding nothing wrong there I touched the gray wire and it feel in two.Seems like I pinched it when I replaced my struts.Now for my question what is the best way to splice these little wires? Sodder and shrink tude or connectors and tape?And what else would you all do while it is apart? Thanks Brad

Old 05-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have any wire to play with the best thing would be soldier apply a little silicone sealing type then heat your shrink tube. I dont think I would do it any other way. But if there is a better besides replacing the whole thing lets hear about it.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, solder and heat shrink tubing would be the way to go. Using connectors would just not give the strength you would need to keep those wires together good. It will also give a much better seal against the environment.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:11 PM
cws
Weekend Warrior

my 96 scrambler when it was new had broken wires on the right front. i had to pry off the dust cover slightly to solder them back wich worked but the prying left the hub loose(making the tire wobble. right now the bike is getting its frame off restoration so i had a new magnet and cover installed for under $50.00. looking on ebay there is a guy selling the strut complete with shaft & hub for $20.00...i already spent the money on the rebuild o-well[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

my cousins 500 just got the wires pinched last weekend front a tree branch getting up in there, those dam wires are SMALL, i couldn't even hardly get in there to do anything to them either, ended up taking wheel off and getting 2 blue connectors to fif the problem, used some di-electric greas and then black electrical tape, then i put some wire ties around the tape to make sure it doesn't start unwrapping, still holding up so far.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:47 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it fixed today.Sodered the wires together stagerred taped then shrink tube then siliconed the ends. Replaced the hub nut.....damn that thing is expensive.$11 has anyone used a locknut from the hardware store?

Old 05-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

A regular nut would probablt work, just drill a hole for the cotter pin to go through. Just make sure you get left or right hand threads, whichever you need. The two sides are different according to partsland. Glad you got her fixed.