Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help with Breeze Ignition Issue-No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Breeze Ignition Issue-No Spark

I have a 2003 Yamaha Breeze that will not start. As soon as I let go of the starter button, the engine sounds like it wants to start, but that's it. The original battery was getting weak so I just replaced it with a new one. Bought a new spark plug and that didn't help. When I pulled the plug and grounded it against the engine I get one spark only and that happens right when I release the starter button. This happens consistently. Originally I thought the external coil may have gone bad, however, the one spark you get is strong. My local dealer says that they seldomly see external coils go bad and it was most likely the coil that is located within the engine that provides the spark timing signal.

If this scenario sounds familiar, I would appreciate some help on how to troubleshoot this issue without having to take the ATV in for service.

Chov

Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Help with Breeze Ignition Issue-No Spark

i ws wondering if you have solved your spark problem yet. i have a timberwolf with the same problem and can't figure it out. hope you are having better luck if so some help woould be appreciated.

Old Today, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Breeze no start

Originally Posted by saturnman
i ws wondering if you have solved your spark problem yet. i have a timberwolf with the same problem and can't figure it out. hope you are having better luck if so some help woould be appreciated.
I am also having this problem, 97 yamha breeze has anyone figured it out yet.

Old Today, 02:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

This problem happens quite often on quads and nobody seems to know the exact reason. Some bikes have a CDI with a wire to the neutral light circuit. This gives a better spark when the bike is in neutral, if the wire is broken you get the poor spark but this is usually on DC CDI machines where the voltage drop when the starter is turning produces a poor spark, I think the Breeze is AC CDI so that wouldn't apply. Some say a dirty pickup coil will cause this fault, worth trying. Make sure all earths are good too. Best to get the workshop manual and do the tests on the ignition system it recommends.