Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help! Starter solenoid and wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help! Starter solenoid and wiring problems

I really need help so any answer or help is appreciated. i have a yamaha timberwolf that i bought last year. I have been riding it around for a while but i use the pull start to start it. My ignition switch was not wired correctly so i just did'nt try to use it. Recently i bought another timberwolf for parts and took off the ignition switch and put it on mine. I hooked up a battery and bam it started. I took the ignition switch off. I now took the 4 wheeler apart powerwashed it and painted the frame and whatnot. I put it back together connected the ignition sw. and it won't start. I am using a screwdriver type tester that lights up when a wire is hot. I noticed that on one side of my starter solenoid i have power but when i press the start button, no power goes to starter side. My question is do the two wires going to the solenoid carry some kind of electric current that is applied when the start button is pressed. i have cut into them and i have no electricity when start button is pressed or released. I have tried it with 3 different starter solenoids. I can put a screwdriver between the two bolts on starter solenoid and it will start. My thing is that all 3 solenoids were working. could it be that no power is getting to solenoid, preventing from it not working? Please help i am frustrated and have no idea what to do. ANY input will be appreciated. OH and if anyone knows where i can get a free repair manual online or email me a copy that would be appreciated too. thanks and god bless

Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer

It sounds like your not getting a signal to the "S" termanal of the relay. One main wire should be hot all the time and the the other doesn't till the start button is pushed. I sounds like you hooked a wire up wrong. You need to look at the termanals and find the wire that comes from the starter switch and see if it gets power when the button is pushed. That one goes on the "S" side of your solenoid.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks for reply

i see what you mean i have checked my switch at the handlebars and when the button is pressed it shows its hot. I guess i need to follow it to the starter solenoid. thing is 3 wires go to starter solenoid. 2 (they are blue and blue/white) of them are together going to red/white wire or battery side of solenoid and there is black one going to black wire or "s" side of solenoid. they are connected with a little connecter. do the blue ones which eventually go to battery side carry current when pressed or does the black one. I have checked them for current i find none. i also noticed a lot of box like electrical components on side of 4 wheeler any of these control the current coming from start button. i have an extra set from an old 4 wheeler. thanks for reply and let me know if you have any more advice.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thats all I can help with, a starting point. I don't have a wiring chart infront of me and I don't have that yr-bike. I 'm also not anywhere close to mine to look and see what setup I have on mine. Hopefly someone here will chime in.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever find a solution to this? Going through the same thing.😂

Old 08-14-2022, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 329 Likes on 320 Posts

Firstly have you recently fitted a new solenoid? If it has a fuse on the solenoid the thick wires have to be connected the right way round S or M to starter and B to battery. Does the solenoid click when you press the start button, if it does, either the starter or solenoid is faulty. How to be absolutely certain which it is:- connect a 12v incandescent test lamp between starter live and earth. Press start button, hear click, if lamp lights but starter doesn't work, faulty starter. If lamp doesn't light faulty solenoid. If solenoid doesn't click, you have a wiring fault. Yams have a hideously over-complex lock out system, so it won't start unless in neutral or a brake on. You really need the wiring diagram, and to follow it backwards from solenoid thin wires, to find the fault.