1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Efi utv stalls a few seconds after starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efi utv stalls a few seconds after starting

Hey all. New member with limited experience. Have a hisun 700 that ran great when it went into winter storage. Ever since it will start as long as it is in the "prime" stage. Dies a few seconds later; exact same situation every time. Turn key off and wait 15-20 seconds and happens all over. Fuel rail has good pressure. New plug. Took apart all electric connections and greased them (connections around engine). Any help would be beyond appreciated.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like fuel cannot hold pressure or not enough volume. Have you puled the pump out of tank and checked it? I would also check your wire harness from one end to the other. Something may have chewed it up over the winter. Also could be as simple as bad gas

Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tx for your responce. The fuel rail holds the same Pressure during and after priming. Pulled injector and confirmed good misting pattern. Put an in-line spark tester. It appears I am losing spark about the same time the priming sequence ends. I have gone through all harnesses now as well. Is there some sort of secondary system that takes over for providing spark. It's as if the battery gives initial spark and what ever comes next is failing. I cleaned map sensor and replaced iac. Thoughts?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Tdiesel
Tx for your responce. The fuel rail holds the same Pressure during and after priming. Pulled injector and confirmed good misting pattern. Put an in-line spark tester. It appears I am losing spark about the same time the priming sequence ends. I have gone through all harnesses now as well. Is there some sort of secondary system that takes over for providing spark. It's as if the battery gives initial spark and what ever comes next is failing. I cleaned map sensor and replaced iac. Thoughts?
If your loosing spark after the priming stage ( what ever you are calling priming stage). Then you only have a few choices. Failed electrical component, short in wire harness that u have not found, bad battery or charging system

Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would a faulty stator or crank sensor be a place to start? I'm calling the priming stage the initial time the fuel pump runs after turning the key on. Thank you

Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol

ahhh.. so if i get this right after the pump builds pressure and shuts off you loose spark? 2 things are coming to mind when fuel pump shuts off it may be shorting out sending power up the ground? Or what is the condition of your battery? Full charge, have you tried jumping another battery to see if the issue is still their. Can also try after the fuel pump shuts off pull the relay for fuel pump and see if you get spark.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

You are correct, good summary of my problem. Had battery load tested and they said it is perfect. Where would I find pump relay? Also, am I looking for a short in the pump assembly or would that be internal and not be able to be seen?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Tdiesel
You are correct, good summary of my problem. Had battery load tested and they said it is perfect. Where would I find pump relay? Also, am I looking for a short in the pump assembly or would that be internal and not be able to be seen?
Pump relay should be in your fuse box.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update. When I disconnect fuel pump wire harness I get spark. When plugged in, I get no spark. Thoughts on what and how to test? Thank you

Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol

i would pull the plastics and start looking for a bad spot in the wire harness.. Sounds like maby a mouse had a snack

Quick Reply: Efi utv stalls a few seconds after starting