Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

03 sportsman bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 sportsman bogging down

so i bought my sportsman a year ago and it came with a busted dash. it was cracked and let water in. i didnt replace it because people wanted 200 dollars plus for a used one and the dealer wants 800 for a new one. so i came across a guy who was parting out his out and obviously didnt know their worth and got it for 40 bucks! works great. last weekend i was ripping around in the snow for hours ran like a champ. so this week i put in the new speedo and i finally took it for a ride. i let it warm up its about 30 degrees here in canada so i jumped on an it started to bog out from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and intermittently while i was riding around it ran fine and i held the throttle wide through a field and i though it was fine. once i slowed down it started to bog down when i accelerated again. now i cleaned my carb 3 months ago from a clogged idle jet and it dumped raw fuel into exhaust cause it to explode the muffler in the back. i patched it with exhaust cement and a beer can lol and worked for a while. i noticed it failed today. i remember my intake boot on the carb was starting to weather crack aswell. now i know there are hundreds of reasons but its weird once i plugged the new dash in it fvcks up lol.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forums.. Don't blame this dumb old spedo as all it really affects on this model is the awd if the grounding path shorts out through it.Other than that it's just registers speed and mileage. As far as the other problems sounds like you need to check the fuel pump first if you've replaced the intake manifold and the carb isn't suspect. Pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady or pulsing stream of fuel if it's ok. If it has a weak flow,plenty of cheap 8-10 buck fuel pumps on amazon,ebay. If fuel flow is good,then I'd go back through the carb as all it takes is a little trash to cause problems.If you do install a carb kit and be done with it as once is enough to have to go through a carb.https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shindy-...ZRw15S&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails 03 sportsman bogging down-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

its just super coincidental then. i read on another thread some guy was having same issues and he replaced the speedo sensor and worked fine. ill start diagnosing it

Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unplug it and see if you notice any difference. If you don't I'd still check fuel flow and rebuild the carb. Spedo does have a limiter built in but I never really had that problem with them. Mainly when they lost ground path to the awd was the most common problem,but with electrical components anythings possible.One other area that can cause problems is the reverse over ride button wiring. You might check it if you still have problems. The manual goes in to this and does show some things on the spedo you can check along with the wiring schematic.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2003-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

okay i fixed the problem. very strange but big jet at the top some how unscrewed itself and was sitting in the bowl lol. screwed it back in and now she runs perfect again. maybe i didnt tighten it enough when i rebuilt the carb. anyhow cheers thanks for the advice.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep that would keep it from accelerating with the main jet sitting in the bottom of the bowl.. Glad it was something simple.Not everyone lucks out like that..

Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

yah i was getting worried after reding about worn cam lobes. i know my valves are tight shes a little hard to start when cold. im just intimidated by doing it. i want to do it though. do i have to pull the tank on that to do it properly?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can just lift the back end of the tank up and use something to hold it up. Pull the cam cover and the rectangle cover along with the spark plug.Rotate the engine over slowly with the recoil starter. Look at the intake valves only.. When the rocker arms go down and start to come back up,look for the cam sprocket alignment pin. Have it dead center of the head as this is tdc. You can then check/adjust valves. .006 intake and exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails 03 sportsman bogging down-2011-05-21_125845_00_polaris_500_cam_timing.jpg