Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

YFZ450 Or Z400

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

I was wondering if the new YFZ450 was just a Z400 with a bigger engine. Now I dont mean like the KFX400 is a Z400. But I mean same all around riding situation. Like does it jump well, and do wheelies really easily, and is it a good beginner sport quad. Also does it have reverse and has anyone found any bugs yet? Cuz Im really thinkin about gettin the Z400 but the whole cracked frame thing scares me and I do need reverse for certain things.

Old 07-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

well its not a Z400 with "just a bigger engine." it's made by yamaha and is derived from a true badazz motocross bike, the YZ450. I havent ridden one yet (i cant wait to) but i DONT think it was intended for the casual trail rider or the beginner. If you are a beginner, then stick with the z400. unless you catch alot of air, i dont think you will jack your frame. if you are worried about it, then get the frame gusseted or get a 400ex.

werent you the one wanting to get a predator?

Old 07-12-2003, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Im one of those people that try to catch all the air I can, but I think that the 2004 model Z400 wont have the frame problems. And what I ment by is the YFZ450 and Z400 with a bigger motor, is it a good trail riding, freestyle, casual riding bike. I know Yamaha makes it and I didnt mean if it was a clone but along the same sorta riding conditions.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

I agree the yfz is not just a beefed up z400. The frame is stronger and lighter, it has race suspension and a bigger carb. The overall handling is better than a z. With the lighter weight and more power it should be a lot better jumper. I would say it will wheelie pretty good but I've heard it doesn't wheelie as easy as a z so it can keep traction on the ground for racing. I don't think it would be remotely a good beginner quad because it could end up your biggening quad and your ending one. It has WAY to much power for a beginner. It doesn't have reverse and that's fine for a track but it can kinda suck in tight trails that have lots of dead ends and stuff were you need to back up. I don't really suggest a z400 for your begginer quad either. I mean it's just a few miles per hour slower than the yfz, albeit the yfz will get to it's top speed a lot faster. The z is also kind of prone to wheelie, not really bad but if you dump the clutch and are giving it a little to much gas, you'll be on your, well you know. The z does have a very easy to use clutch and the ride comfort is unparalled in the sport quad world. If you're at least 15 years old or over it would probably be o.k., just take it easy on it for a month or two and get used to it. It's really quite a powerful quad and when you get better you can hop it up to any reasonable power you want. I might suggest a 300ex or something first but if you're pretty strong and level headed then you could make a z work as a first quad. Just don't be stupid and go crazy on it the first day.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Im 22 and have been riding ATVs for years. Just havent had a Sport ATV yet. I already do a ton of wild stuff on my Sportsman 500 and 600, like wheelies , jumps and all that stuff. Im just wanting to change over to sport now cuz I use the Sportsmans for all my advanced rock climbing and trail riding. I want a sport quad for jumping, freestyle (wheelies, stopies, bicycles), and trail riding. But if the YFZ450 doesnt have reverse than I probably wont like it cuz I do use the reverse from time to time. Like when I back it in and out of my trailer, or garage, or tight trails that I ride. Thats what turned me away from the 400ex and predator as well. Looks like Ima be callin around to see if any of the dealers got the new 04' Z400s or KFX400s since I believe they fixed the frame problems with em.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Crap I just looked at your signature and read all the quads you have. I was thinkin you were just a beginner to quads. Oh well you should be able to handle the yfz those big polaris utilities are pretty darn powerful and fast. I still don't think it will be a great all around quad. If you know Ridley that is on this forum, he is a national motocross racer and he said it was a great quad but it's geared really high so it wouldn't make a good putt putt quad if you're on a really tight trail were you have to go slow. Also if you ride down long steep hills it might die on you by just riding down in first or second. You'd probably have to clutch and brake all the way down to keep it runnin. I guess with a sprocket change and mess with the gearing it could be made into a great trail bike but it'd be an expensive one. I think the z would be perfect for you. If you ever want to race you can use the z but it'll cost you more money in the long run than the yfz for racing. If you're always on trails get the z or a raptor.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Oh there's that new Artic Cat, it's another copy of the z with the motor and chassis and everything but it has a better looking plastic design. I think it looks better than a z or kfx.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Ya I was lookin at the new Artic Cats and the Artic cat deal right up the road said they wont get em in for another month or 2. But to me honest Id rather just go ahead and get the real thing instead of the copy. Cuz Suzuki makes all the Artic Cat stuff anyway. Plus itll probably be cheaper to just get the Z. My father-in-law said he wants to get a sport quad to and might end up gettin that new Artic Cat. So Ill check it out then anyway. But Im not really into all out racing I do just more jumping and wheelies and stuff. I was originally gonna do racing and get the Predator but after what I saw with the MX racers. MAN CAN THEY TAKE A BEATING!!! Everyone one I saw said it hurts like hell lol. So Ima stick to freestyle. As for the Raptor I got a friend that has ridden 2 and he said they wheelie really bad when you change gears. He fell of the back of one goin into 3rd cuz it pulled up on him. Plus I heard that raptors have a bad suspension so ya tend to hurt after a day of riding. Plus I also heard they end up in the shop more than any other quad. Just what I heard not what I know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Yeah the predator is a GREAT quad if you didn't need reverse so bad it would be great to have "kept it in the family" with all the other polarisis's you have. You can always roll one but I ain't trying to talk you out of the z, I just think the preds are nice too.

Old 07-12-2003, 03:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ450 Or Z400

Well honestly I already had my hopes all set on a predator I was gonna go get one like last week. Then I went and sat on it and it just didnt feel right. I dont like how that seat slumps down like that and how it has no reverse on it. I also didnt like how the radiator is just open like it is cuz I mean what if a big ol rock flys up in there then you will loose your machine. Also since the Predator is kinda all out there on its own all the Accessories cost a little more and are more specific. Not as universal as the 400 class stuff or Yamaha stuff. I mean over all specs of the Predator were really awsome. They just built it to MX and expected you to stand up alot more than you sit on it. And for me when I do all day riding Im not expecting to stand up the whole time or even half the time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: YFZ450 Or Z400