Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

English Help !!!!! Road Registering My YFZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default English Help !!!!! Road Registering My YFZ

Is there anyone out there that knows how to road register a quad in the UK because I know it can be done

Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

yep, you need to have an MSVA test done on it, its the same kind of test they do on kit cars and custom trikes, when you pass the test you get a certificate to take to DVLA and they will issue a licence plate and log book,

i looked into it my self for my zilla and found non of the above applies cos my quad is over 10 years old i just need an MOT and i can have it registered with an age related plate,

depending on how your planning to use the quad you can get away with registering it for limmited road use as a farm quad i think,

are you actually gona ride on the Road?? or is it for green lanes??

wherebouts are you??

Old 01-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Doncaster South yorkshire, i want to use it on the road to get to lanes and tracks etc, will a normal quad pass the test without doing anything to it. My brither has a road reg raptor it done as a PLG but i copied his logbook took it to the dvla and they told me to go away, but i dont know how the firts owner did it is an 03 so only done last year any more ideas

Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have done it got it road reg today through dvla

Old 02-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

please drom me a pm with more detail as to how you did it and what was required,

im trying to find an easy way to get the zilla done, and i dont fancy an mot, the info i gave you originaly is all i had manged to find out,

Old 02-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

drop me your email and i will tell you

Old 02-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: UKzilla
yep, you need to have an MSVA test done on it, its the same kind of test they do on kit cars and custom trikes, when you pass the test you get a certificate to take to DVLA and they will issue a licence plate and log book,

i looked into it my self for my zilla and found non of the above applies cos my quad is over 10 years old i just need an MOT and i can have it registered with an age related plate,

depending on how your planning to use the quad you can get away with registering it for limmited road use as a farm quad i think,

wherebouts are you??

man, you guys are lucky,,,,,,

about 95% of the streets in the US are off limits to Quads (for now)

Old 02-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

were not that lucky cos 99.9% of land is off limits,hhaha

its new legislation that weve been forced to adopt thanks to our links with the european union,

Old 02-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing
Originally posted by: UKzilla

wherebouts are you??

man, you guys are lucky,,,,,,

about 95% of the streets in the US are off limits to Quads (for now)
for now....in 5 years 99.9% will be off limits if not 100% because of the stupid activists out there

Old 02-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

in the uk our trail system is known as green lanes, some of these historicly have always had vehicle access even going back to the days of the horse and cart, these ancient laws mean they are treated as a public highway with vehicle acces.

however bairing in mind that were a titchy country less than 5% are available for vehicle use and the enviro **** types are trying to make sure we have no access at all in the next 12 months,

the draw back of the green lanes is that to use them as with any public highway your vehicle what ever it is needs to be fully road legal, i dont know how it goes in the USA be here that means fully registered, fully taxed, MOT'd and insured,

many off road bikes and quads cant be road legal because of things like lights tires, noisy pipes, emissions, mirrors and an inability to prove the age of the vehicle in order to register and get a vehicle license plate,

the newer quads are all available in road going legal form,

i looked into having my quad tested so i can do a bit of green laning and found that im prety much a unique position in that the MSVA doesnt apply to any vehicle over 10 years old, testing does not apply to my ZIlla because it is over ten years old, normaly for a uk bike proving its age would be the first and final stumbling block but because i imported the zilla from the Mississippi i have a title from the state wich is undeniable proof that it is over ten years old, HAHAHa

all i have to do is submit the quad for a normal MOT test that is done anualy to all road going vehicles in the uk and voila i can get a registration document and im ready to go,

this is all made slightly easier by using loop holes in the MOT laws that allow a vehicle to be used for daylight use only, so i dont need to have lights etc,

its still a head ache tho finding somewhere to do the test on a quad.

its not like i realy have any intention of riding on the roads, yeah im sure ill do it a couple of times till the novelty wears off, but at least it gives me legal access to some of the wonderfull countryside we have in the UK,

i can just see my license plate now, FST 500R

Quick Reply: English Help !!!!! Road Registering My YFZ