Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Banshee powerband

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee powerband

Ok guys, this is gonna sound like a dumb question, but it's worth asking for all the people that don't know... What do you mean when you say a banshee's powerband is diff? I'm gittin a banshee this summer, only ridin a few sport quads, never owned one (don't try to talk me out of startin off w/ a banshee, already have my mind set). But what is so special about a banshee's powerband, and what about it makes people say it's harder to ride if your not used to it. thanks for all the info

Old 02-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Glad your sticking with a banshee [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. anyway, a powerband is when the air/fuel mixes perfect (what the mechanic said so dont quote me, but im about 90% positive thats how it works, its easier to explain what it does than how it works) and a tremendous HIT of power occurs. If you EVER hear someone say (im not BSing, i have really heard some little 8th grader say this) "yeah, the other day i took the powerbands out and cleaned them off" etc,etc, slap them for me,lol. Once you get your banshee, you will know RIGHT AWAY what a powerband is in the first couple gears, i promise.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondaracer305
Glad your sticking with a banshee [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. anyway, a powerband is when the air/fuel mixes perfect (what the mechanic said so dont quote me, but im about 90% positive thats how it works, its easier to explain what it does than how it works) and a tremendous HIT of power occurs. If you EVER hear someone say (im not BSing, i have really heard some little 8th grader say this) "yeah, the other day i took the powerbands out and cleaned them off" etc,etc, slap them for me,lol. Once you get your banshee, you will know RIGHT AWAY what a powerband is in the first couple gears, i promise.
It's very hard to tell where the powerband is on my trx250 utility bike. On my Mach 1 583, I hit the powerband when I'm driving at half throttle.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Its harder to tell on a 4stroke because the powerbands are broader than a 2stroke, that is ussually what i do-hold the shee at about half throttle and you can feel the power sneaking up on you then-BAM!! your *** is moving! Didnt mean to mislead you jed, i was talking about banshees that have a slamming powerband, sorry for the confusion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondaracer305
Its harder to tell on a 4stroke because the powerbands are broader than a 2stroke, that is ussually what i do-hold the shee at about half throttle and you can feel the power sneaking up on you then-BAM!! your *** is moving! Didnt mean to mislead you jed, i was talking about banshees that have a slamming powerband, sorry for the confusion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
It's all good do'nt worry about it. I know what you meant though, I was just mentioning my 4-stroke[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

you will feel a powerband on a 2 stroke really good, mine lags a lot at 1/4 throtle then after that it hits hard almost throws you off the quad

Old 02-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

wooohooo! you are gonna love the snap of that 2 stroke! you can make all your friends with thumpers haul your firewood, cuz thats all they are good for! lol j/k

anyways, you will for sure notice the powerband. the way it was described to me was the engines most usable power at a given range of rpm

I think the powerband difference between 2 and 4 strokes are that 4 strokes have torque and hp that get the muscle to the ground at a really big rpm range. you'd notice for example, if you had a ton of compression in a 2 stroke, you'd have insane power and speed in your low to midrange rpm level and once you hit top its like an over drive in a car. No power, just smooth acceleration

hope that helps

Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

As soon as you get it warm it up correctly then get on the street put it in first and peg the throttle you know what the power band is trust me. Nothing but a 2 stoke can do this.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Quick explanation of powerband: 2 strokes rely on the bouncing of sound waves to operate. The exhaust comes out of the cylinder and pulls fresh gas out into the exhaust pipe also. The sound waves go to the back of the cone (where the fat part of the pipe tapers down) and bounce back pushing the fresh gas back into the cylinder to be burned. When the time it takes for the piston to go down and let exhaust out then goes back up equals the time it takes for the sound waves to go back and bounce forward, everything comes together and the engine makes explosive power. There are many ways to tune this power. That is why there are so many different pipe designs. The angle of the cone and length of the pipe affects where the powerband comes on and how wide it is.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

im not trying to really talk you out of it but just consider riding one before you get one. they are fun but they are not for everyone/and everyone's riding styles. the stock banshee has a light-switch powerband. its either on or off. rippin or idling. it doesnt like anything in between. be sure that is what you want, other wise get used to changing plugs.

Quick Reply: Banshee powerband