Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

TRX450R or YFZ450? Need Info!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX450R or YFZ450? Need Info!

Whats up everyone! I am new to your forum so take it easy on me! I know this same question has probably been asked 50 times in the last month but i don't have enough info on either quad to decide which one to buy. I am asking anyone's honest non biased opinion. I have done my homework on both quads but have not had a chance to ride either one. I don't want to MX or TT race but I might get into some GNCC racing later on. I am from the Midwest so most of my riding is in the woods. I know both quads run equally on top end but how is the low end and mid range for tight woods riding? Which bike would be more rider friendly in the woods? I would like to know some pros and cons on both quads in any area? Well if you have read this much i appreciate your time and your feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Range Rover

from what i have read, the honda is better in the trails than the yamaha, the yamaha has like .1 or .2 inches more ground clearance but that aint gonna matter much.. i like yamaha more than honda too but im being honest here. but i havnt ridden either of them yet. they are very close tho i do know that much...

Old 05-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 250R but I have put a few hours on both the YFZ and the TRX. Personally, I love the YFZ because it feels very similar to my bike. It is without a doubt a full-blooded racing machine. The TRX is no slouch either but it has a more relaxed nature to it which can either be a pro or a con. The TRX also has a more linear power band but I think the mid-range hit of the YFZ is harder. Being a Honda fan I would have to favor the TRX as far as reliability goes. All I can say is that at the Harescrambles and XC races I have been to there are more YFZ's at the front of the pack than there are TRX's.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the honest opinion. Greatly appreciated! Going tomorrow to look at a YFZ450. Maybe I am lazy but I sure do appreciate electric start. I also had a 86 250R set up for woods riding. Great bike, wish I would have kept it. The 400EX was another awesome quad I prevously owned but It lacked the top end and Midrange that my R had. Even though my R was ported for woods riding it still walked the dog on my 400. OH well...I guess you can't have your cake and eat it at the same time. Thanks again for the reply I will let you know what I go with.

Old 05-26-2004, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Keep us posted! In my opinion, if you miss your 250R and wish you had it back, you'll probably like the YFZ the best.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Range Rover

yea the yfz has more "explosive" type of power, while the 450r has more of a "tame" type of power.. id go for the yfz cuz i think it looks better and like i said its power is more explosive and according to dirtwheels overall its the better machine

Old 05-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the TRX, and my buddy has the YFZ, so I have ridden both. I spent an afternoon trail riding the YFZ, and absolutely HATED IT! It is no trail bike! In the open desert and dunes however, the YFZ is a good ride. The feel is light, and reminds me of the Blaster.

The kick starter on the TRX is no big deal, in fact I am kind of enjoying it (reminds me of the good old days). The TRX has a great trail frame, and also handles open country very well.

Do a search, you will come up with a thousand different opinions!

Old 05-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I was in the same boat as you, I'm going to end up buying the trx in a few months. I do trailriding and some dunes and a little mx so I figured it would be the best...granted I like the electric start on the yfz but I hear the kickstart isn't bad at all...plus I don't really like the hard seat on the yfz...even though I'm young..I still want to something thats going to be good on the ol rump after a days riding....they are both great quads...the yfz has more mods for it right now and you'll hear everyone say that the trx is slower then the yfz...which might be true...but the trx is still one fast a$$ machine and its not slower by much.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

if you miss the 250r get the trx and pretend you are kickstarting your 250 lol although you can buy the kickstart kit for the yfz. i have only ridden the yfz and find it to be a very uncomfartable ride, it feels very small and has a rock solid seat.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

hah great explosive power for in trails hit that powerband and right into a tree for you or your in the mud and hit the gas and dig a 6 inch hole in 2 seconds...friend has one happens a lot get the trx its better for trails hes no doing mx or tt trx is the way to go

Quick Reply: TRX450R or YFZ450? Need Info!