Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Arr- Stupid Dad

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

Ok i have to vent here

I come home from work this morning (I work nights), and my dad is sitting up, watching tv before work.
He asks me... so have you got any bites on your atv for sale... i said no

Next thing is he starts going into about his last trail ride. He said that a kid with a banshee rode the trails with a his group and was constantly getting stuck, causing him to have to pull the kid out with his sportsman. Then goes on to say how useless those type of machines are. I go on to say that a banshee is not designed for trails, they have no power in the low end, and all the power is the top of the powerband. Nope he said, all those racey things are terrible on the trails and its not that the kid didnt have power, its that his atv was to low to the ground.

Then I tried going into detail about the different engine characteristcs of a two and four stroke atv, which you would figure he would understand since he is a licenced mechanic. Nope just the style of the atv to him, good for nothing he says.

Then i say, you do realize that after i sell mine, i am going to buy a 4 stroke model of sport atv right ( due to rising cost of gas, and trailriding characteristics, plus i want something newer). All i get in response is ...WHAT I thought you where goin to buy a 4wheeler. I said yes i am going to buy a 4wheeler, I am not going to buy a 4x4 model like you have, because they are heavy and slow, I want a sport model that is light and fast.

The argument continued, and I am just tired of hearing this sh*t

Great now i feel a bit better, just had to vent

Old 06-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

Sport bikes have their place, and utiltiies have theirs. I have to have both to ride everything!

Maybe there will be a true "sport ute" someday. (Please don't tell me anything that weights 600+ lbs. qualifies as a sport/ute!) Rumor is that Honda has a new liquid cooled 250 4X4 coming that will be light yet powerful. They are getting ~35 hp out of the new 250 4-stroke dirt bikes, so maybe we will finally see a light, true sport ute???

Old 06-11-2004, 11:40 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

I think both of you are right. You cannot lug a 2-stroke and most sport quads are too low for riding in deep mud. Not all trails are created equal though. For where I ride a utility quads get stuck too easily.

What about the Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4?

Old 06-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

Yeah, the banshee trying to ride a trail probably didn't help your case either lol...
I think he probably saw that, and generalized sport quads to be useless...If him accepting what bike you want is that big of a deal, you can just go buy a DS650 or something big like that to make him happy?? If not, show him something like a 400ex or a 450R that does excellent on trails...

Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

i'm gonna submit the myth of the banshee being bad on trails to the myth busters, so this all can end, once and for all. I wouldn't go as far as saying your father is stupid, because, it is true, father does know best. Its true, weather you agree or not. Anyways, he just may be a little ignorant(not knowing, the literal sence). You can show him by buying a banshee, and ripping it on the trails like a pro.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

wats the deal with banshees, dont they got power liek crazy cuz if they got that 2 stroke on em...wats teh deal?

Old 06-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

Power- yes. Torque- no, at least not as much or where a 4 stroke makes it. You can have ALL the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground (IE. low ground clearence) then it does nothing. Thats why I like my Scrambler. It can ride with the sport bikes (to a certain extent) and mud with most of them.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Power- yes. Torque- no, at least not as much or where a 4 stroke makes it. You can have ALL the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground (IE. low ground clearence) then it does nothing. Thats why I like my Scrambler. It can ride with the sport bikes (to a certain extent) and mud with most of them.
Yeah, i was really suprised when i rode a 500 scrambler the other day, It was quicker than i thought it was, plus it could ride wheelies good if you slammed your butt on the seat timed with when the belt will kick in, I liked riding it better than the warrior my friend had...

Old 06-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

i think the only reason dirt bikes have more power is because they are lighter, and the dirt bike racing world is much bigger than the quad world, although that may not be for long, having gncc on television these days

Old 06-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Arr- Stupid Dad

I think the wolverine is about as good as it gets if you want the best of both worlds. However, with the mud busters, my warrior is pretty competent in thick mud.

Quick Reply: Arr- Stupid Dad