Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Predator sprocket and air filter performance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator sprocket and air filter performance?

drgnerth,
I finally got my air intake from Rath, and unfortunately it is the one that mounts the K&N in the old airbox. I wanted to mount directly to the carb. I called Rath but everyone who knows anything is on vacation right now.

Did your buddy get his filter from Rath?
Does the filter go right on the carb throat, or do they make an adapter piece?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:37 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

The Rath Intake mounts to the tube, if you want a filter to clamp on to the carb, you will have to get the twin air.....I just ordered mine, I shouls have it by friday. Go hereand you can see it under Predator performance.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

on the preds, the best things you can do are gear down, pipe it, K&N clamp on air filter, change the jetting(I ran a 162.5 before the BB), and also changing your CDI.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

RAJ,
So, Rath does not make a filter assy that clamps right onto the carb?
Do I need to go to Nicholas for that? Or should I just run this Rath K&N assy in the old airbox? Any performance difference with the filter up against the carb?
I was hoping to use the old box for storage. No big deal.

Should I use a separate small filter and tie off the engine case vent elsewhere?

03 TLD.
I added the CDI, which helped a lot.
I was running the drop-in K&N, with stock pipe and Pure Polaris silencer. Those seemed to help a little.
I am jetted up one size. I tried two sizes up but was too fat, blubbering on top end.

I have just geared down to 13-38. Feels good.
I love this Predator, just trying to get a little more acceleration.
I'm heading for Glamis Wednesday so I want to make these changes and try them out.

I appreciate all your help, guys! Thanks!

Old 02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I would just call Doug and have him send you the twin air, and call Rath and see if you can send it back or try to sell it. I sold mine for $85.00, they are alot of people wanting the Rath Intake. The trottle response is night & day difference between the 2. I like the Twin air alot better. I did leave my air box for storage, it works well. Doug has the fitler for the crank case, I went ahead and got one of those. You will be happy with the Twin Air filter.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

Just got back from a week at Glamis, I promised an update, so here it is:

I have the Pure Polaris slip on silencer, K&N drop in, and jetted up one size on the main. I just re-geared before going (the only change for this trip). I went down to 13/38 (from 14/37), equals 4 teeth down.
It definitely performed better in the dunes geared down. I was able to pull 4th strong on most faces, where before I could only pull third. So, I was definitely faster. (Of course I lose some top end, which I really don't need in the dunes.) The sand was wetter than normal most of the week, so I don't really know yet if this is geared too low or not.
I repeatedly beat my friend's piped Raptor, and also another friend's new YFZ450 (but his tires were crap). I beat two other stock YFZ450s on one run and they both beat me on another run. A 450R with the cam kit beat me twice.
The YFZ450 and I switched bikes for awhile and I definitely don't want to ride that quad! His first reaction was: "Wow, that Predator is really comfortable, great handling."

My next change is to try the K&N clamp on (on the tube), but I also want to get a header pipe (with a heat guard) and re-jet. I will do this all at once.

I asked Doug at Nicholas about the Twin Air but he said I would need to send the carb to him for 8 or 9 adjustments. So, I will wait for a while on that move.

So, who is making a header pipe with a heat guard, and will match up with my Pure Polaris (White Bros.) slip on silencer ?? Does the Rath header pipe have a heat guard?
And does anyone know what jets I will need to run then?

Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Yea the Rath Header will work and it has a Heat Sheild, but it's extra.....I think $30.00 or so. You will need it for sure. I took a picture of the Heat Sheild in my gallery for someone else. I also have the Rath Intake for sale. I had it sold and never got the money yet.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

The 13 tooth front sprocket makes a huge difference... Keep in mind that you will tap the rev limiter much more frequently.. Not always a bad thing because the gear change actually lets you step-up in to third much sooner and stay their much longer (fewer down shifts required) Now with that said I would visit DesertSandAtv.com and grab one of the rev limiters they sell - great price. Combine the 13-tooth sprocket and the rev-limiter and IMHO you have a whole new machine... for under $150