Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Am I crazy to dump the 400EX and get a Raptor or Banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 05:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a 400EX but I have this itch to get something bigger and badder! Is the Raptor that much more of a thrill than the 400EX.

On the other hand, I love 2-strokes as I used to have a Honda 250R 3-wheeler and it was a blast, but I ride mostly in the woods (maybe some track); So is the Banshee a bad choice as a woods machine?

David

Old 09-20-2000, 09:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you get the Banshee or Raptor, you may be a little mad at yourself.....for riding a lessor machine for so long before you came to your senses.

Old 09-20-2000, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

If you ride woods mostly now on your 400ex, then you'll LOVE the Raptor! I had a Banshee set up for woods riding exclusively, moto-fast pipe, PRM skids, holeshot xct tires and etc.. I now have a Raptor and the difference is night and day. Not to say that the Banshee isn't an awesome ride, but the Raptor has higher center ground clearance for going over the occasional log, better suspension for when you really feel like flying down the trail, reverse when you don't have room to spin around or don't feel like getting off and manually turning it around, and most importantly to me, awesome power! You don't have to clutch it too much with your 400ex do you? The Banshee is very high strung, and without setting it up for the woods, you'll be using our clutch all of the time since it's a high strung machine. With the Raptor, the power is instant and huge. There's no waiting to get enough power to let it rip, it's there now. As I mentioned in another post, you have to be aware of the power there, because if not, you'll fine that you just can make that tight turn when your front wheels aren't on the ground.

Some reports of late have said that a Banshee with dune pipes (toomey, fmf, Lrd, or etc..) is a little faster on top end than a stock Banshee. This may be the case in some situations, but that's not fair to compare a stock machine to a modded one. Wait till some of these guys roll out there modified Raptors. The only one I've heard of so far was on here and the claim was made that it was wiping up the DS650, modded banshees and so forth. Also, I'd be willing to bet that the Raptor will smoke any Banshee using a true woods pipe like a Moto-Fast or DynoPort.

Old 09-20-2000, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

You're not crazy. But, the 400ex is a good machine. I wouldn't give up on it that fast. I have a Raptor and it's great. My best friend has a 400ex and I've ridden it. Just ask yourself "Am I ready to spend $7400 on a new quad when this one could be just as good if I spent a a few hundred bucks on it?" And I definetly wouldn't recommend the Banshee for woods riding. 4 strokes are more comfortable for that kind of riding.

Old 09-20-2000, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Why not wait and personally ride one before making a decision?

It's not like if you don't get one now, you won't be able to. Besides, if you wait a year or so, Yamaha may touch up a few rough spots & there is sure to be more to choose from in the future.

Old 09-20-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 400 and the Raptor are about the same in the woods. It will depend on the rider which is faster. The Banshee was not made to race in the woods, but people do. It is a much better duner. You can get a 400 without a wait. The Raptor is a different story. Good luck if your name is not on the waiting list.
If you can wait to next year(maybe late) Yam and Honda will have new models out maybe?

Old 09-24-2000, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

First of all,Never buy a quad in the first year of production.And if you don't drag race,you don't need a huge motor,besides Yamaha are still using their 1980's technology on their quads,look at those tie-rod ends and that terrible way of tighting the chain,then look at your Honda...
Furthermore, the parts for a 400ex is unbelieveable,for example:new plastic appox.$150 thats for front and rear.steering stem $55,tie rods appox.$6,this is from Honda dealer,Now go price some parts from Yamaha.

2000-400ex,power core4 pipe,rev limiter,6-1" holes
in air box lid,155 main jet,holeshot
tires and rims,rethel bars,This winter:
port job,web cam,11-1 piston...
2000-400ex,all stock
1998-300ex,all stock
1997-xr80r,all stock

Old 09-24-2000, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

I would like to know where the dealer is that is selling tie rods for six bucks.I am not trying to be a wise guy,but I would spend $100 on fuel to get there,just to buy a steering stem for $55.
I just bought a tie rod assembly for my R and it cost $100 for inner and outter tie rod ends and the tie rod itself.Rod ends alone cost $50 a piece.
I myself always noticed Honda parts are more expensive than any other manufacturer.I've bought parts for everything from an old Z50 to new CR250s and was amazed how much they charge for the simplest part.
As far as selling your Ex for a Raptor,If that is what you want,than do it.You could always sell it and buy another 400.Don't listen to anybody elses opinion on your choice of ride or your choice of anything for that matter.If it is what you like,are happy with,or want than go for it.

Old 09-24-2000, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

The parts for the 400EX are much cheaper than the 250R parts. Why?? I think it's because Honda is manufacturing a lot of their parts in the states now. For example, I paid like $47 for a 250R tie rod end last year. I recently bought a tie rod end for my 250X, but the parts guy sold me a 400EX tie rod end for $23.93. He said that the 400EX tie rod end was the same as the 250X tie rod end, but cheaper! It worked just fine. I just wish it was the same as the 250R!!

Old 09-25-2000, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a big difference in the price of the parts for the R and the EX like he said. But the quality of the parts are not the same. For example, the tie rods for the EX are narrower and bend eaiser. Sometimes the cheaper price is not the best buy and sometimes it is.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to dump the 400EX and get a Raptor or Banshee?