Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Best quad for my type of riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best quad for my type of riding?

Whats up fella's this is my first time on this sit. It seemed to be a real good forum so i became a member.
Here is my question, im in the market to get a new quad this spring and i am stuck between 3 bikes. The type of riding i do is mostly fast trail riding, backyard racing, some jumping (nothin over 40ft), and hillclimbing, i live in northeast ohio so the hills arn't that big. My first choice was going to be a rapter 660. (mainly cause it has reverse) I know the 660 has a real high center of gravity, and is kinda tippy. I figured that could be fixed with some wheel spacers and new tires, but i have talked with some people and they said it will still be tippy even if i do that. I was at the dealer yesterday talkin to some people and they said the same thing. While i was there i fell in love with the 450r!! It seems to be perfect for what im looking for, plus i love kickstarts. And as of now that is what im leaning towards. I would love a yfz450 too, but i here the motor is too highstrung (already pushed to its limits), and a pain to work on. So what would be the best choice for my type of riding?? Im definatly goin with honda or yamaha,

Old 02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Y dont u just get a z-400 it has reverse and it sounds like your doion alot of trail ridind so that would always be good.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

The 450's (either Honda or Yamaha) are great, but I personally can't see paying that much for a new one. If I had the money laying around, I guess it wouldn't bother me, but I don't. I'm also a Yamaha fan, and have had nothing but. Now, I own a Z400 as suggested above, and love it. It's a great, reliable machine and can keep up on the trails with the YFZ with NO problem. My friend has one piped and I kept passing him my stock Z. Obviously I'm a little better at riding, but not by very much. The 450's have a very low center of gravity, which is good for cornering and all, but I'm much more comfortable on my Z being 6'2 and what not. Anyways, if you couldn't tell, my suggestion is the Z400 as well. However, I heard the 450R is a better trail machine (stock) than the YFZ if you are picking between the two.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you guys suggesting a Suzuki? He said he was gonna get a Honda or Yamaha. My opinion go with either 450 they are both great machines.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

You might want to go ahead and consider the Raptor660. However, if you do, purchase a +3" axle. It lowers the center of gravity, balances the rear end, and cures all of its handling problems. Everyone who owns a Raptor, it should be the first thing you do. The Raptor is very good on trails because of its explosive power. It provides tons of torque even at low RPM's. However it is kind of pricey, especially if you buy the axle too. If you go with Durablue, you're looking at about a $450 part. The YFZ450 is an amazing quad, but it is kind of like a 4-stroke version of the Banshee. It is amazing if you really know how to ride one. Thumbs up to Yamaha for the YFZ. The Honda TRX450R is kind of the same way. It is slightly better in the woods, but I don't think either one of them get super high marks for trail riding. Take in mind, neither of them have reverse. Of course, they aren't really made for that. The new Honda 400EX has reverse and will last forever. Lets face it, its bullet proof. It is amazing on trails and play riding. Now it isn't as quick as these other ones and you wont be at the front of the pack in drag races, but it is still a great machine. And like some of the others have said, you could always go with a Suzuki Z-400. You are getting power, good handling, durability, reverse, and a great trail machine.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

drgnerth it was just a sugestion for trail riding.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You like kickstart and want to do some fast trail riding. ANy of these three will really suit you. Reverse is nice, but you can make do without, people have been doing it since trikes were invented. Both 450s are a tad high strung, but I compare my YFZ somewhat to the ole 750 crotchrocket I used to own. Pretty mellow below 5000rpm, but an absolute screamer between 7500 and 12000. Well, the YFZ doesn't rev out as high, but you get the pic I hope. If you like the 450r, get it. Also, you might want to check out the Predator, they are pretty impressive nowadays.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

You love kickstarts?!? Get the YFZ and do the kickstart install,eliminating even more weight!!! But I personally like the Rappy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Ya i like kickstarts because you can always count on it, and theres less probloms to go wrong. I figure i can do without reverse one the yfz, or 450r cause they only weight like 350lbs. the reson i didnt consider the z400 or 400ex is because basicly i wanna go faster!!! i know there great quads, but the power in the yfz and 450r is so nice!!!!!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Range Rover

Since you love kickstarts and only are considering the Honda or Yamahas, it sounds like a no-brainer....Get the 450R (with the Cam Kit) and go down one front tooth. It will do fine on the trail, better than the YFZ450, IMO. (I have ridden them both a number of times.)

BUT...Since your hill-climbing, backyard racing, and jumping are pretty limited....sounds like you need the very best Trail quad you can get.
Therefore, You might listen to Dirt Wheels advice. They rate the 2005 Predator the top (stock) trail machine. I would agree - JMO.
Of course, it does not have kick start, but it does have reverse.
I would definitely take the Predator and the Honda 450R over the Raptor on the Trail, although the Raptor is not bad either. I would stay away from the YFZ450 on the trail.....but it is a killer straight out race machine.

They're all good, pick the one you like and ....Have Fun!