Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

power cord question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power cord question

i have a lighting kit for one of my quads and i was wondering where do you hook the power cord up after it is connected to the rocker switch to the battery or what

Old 02-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Not quite sure what your asking but ya, you can take it to the battery if you what. Most people take it to a "keyed" hot so they don't leave the light on by mistake.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

so you are talking about hooking up to the key switch on your quad if that is what you mean how hard is it do that

Old 02-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Well, your going to have to know something about electrical circuits. Most lights now days draw a lot of current, so to deal with that they use a relay.
It's just too difficult for me to describe how the circuite is layed out over the net. It's one of those things that I could show you how to do it in about 10 minutes if I was there.

Aww hell, let me give it a shot. A "keyed" hot is going to be a wire that has 12V going to it "only" when the key is on. There is many wires coming off of the ign. switch. One or more will be hot when the key is in the on position. You will have to find one of these wires. You can tap into this wire with a 3M wire splice or a 3 way wire splice. This wire will go to your light switch. From the other side of your light switch take this wire to the relay "control" side. Some relays have another conection that you have to ground. Some are grounded so all you have to do is screw them to metal and your done.
Now you take a heavy wire from the battery + side and go to the relay. Then take a heavy wire from the relay to the lights. Then take the other wire from the lights and screw it to any chassie (metal) ground. Your done.
Sounds hard over the net but it's really not. Sorry I could not describe it better, but like I said, really difficult over the net.

If you did not understand what I just typed try and find a friend that knows a little about electrical curcuits and give him this. Good luck and have fun with your new lights.