Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Put a twist throttle on an quad

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put a twist throttle on an quad

Hi, i'm a dritbiker who is about to buy a quad. i dont know too much about atv's, but i was wondering if there is any way you can put a twist throttle on a quad. and if you can what would u have to do and does anyone make a kit for it, thanks for the help

Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not real sure who makes them or where you can get them but there is a guy that is leading the points season at the same track I race at with a twist throttle. He too use to ride dirt bikes and just never liked the thumb throttle. I could try and ask him saturday at my next race for you(if he is there). Maybe it's just cause I have never ridin a dirt bike but I wouldn't think it would work so great on an Atv. Could be wrong though.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah that would be cool if you could ask him about it. but i did find a kit online for about$30-$50 to convert a normal throttle into a twist. for me i've always rode dirtbikes and have never liked the atv's throttle, so when i get my quad, i think thats the first thing im gonna change, but thanks for the help!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I went from dirtbike to quad too,the problem with having a twist throttle on a quad,is that a quad not only moves forward and back on its axis but to the sides also.What Im trying to explain is like if you hit a large bump with only the left wheels it will tilt to the quad to the right,so if you hit a series of bumps that go left,right,left,right,left and your not consentraiting it will alter your throttle position with each tilt. I hope you understand what Im trying to say caus I cant think of another way to say it.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Oh I forgot I have a guide that tells you how to make a thing that lets you keep both thumb and twist throttle at the same time to be able to switch back and forth when you want just by locking one of the two with an allen key,but Id have to look for it...

Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

In my Opinion a twist grip is not good on a Quad. Just think if your Sliding sideways and start to loose control and your trying to Hang on. With a Thumb Throttle you can still hang on to the Grip.
With a Twist you May be Pulling more Throttle then your in Real Trouble. Just My OP.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

i would not go out and buy a brand new one for 50$ I would go out and look for one at a junk yard, take one of your dirt bike, and then just hook it up, there is no need to pay so much.

as for not being able to control it when your turning and all that. i have a twist on my trike and its easy to control of your going over bumps you can still give it any amount of gas you want.

i say get it , it looks better too

half the people who say things on here dont know

Trending Topics

Old 03-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

MOTION PRO makes twists for Quads. I would never go back to a thumb throttle.........

Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help guys, for me the twist throttle would be the way to go, thanks for making up my mind.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Range Rover

Just asking,,,,,,on a atv,can u just bye the throttle or do u have to get the kit with the cable?

Quick Reply: Put a twist throttle on an quad