Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

easiest way to wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest way to wheelie

Yes, my buddy has a 2002 4x4 scrambler and it will NOT pull the front end, no matter how hard you try.. Sssooooo
We wieghed his front and back and my 2x4 scrambler front and back and found that the 4x4 is 30 lbs heavier due the 4 wheel drive system.. so thirty pounds of wieght in the front right between the front wheels should cure the problem of too easy to wheelie, not so we forgot to factor in the 4x4s extra drag on the motor from extra rotating mass it just made wheelies scarier because now it is REALLY in the power band when it lifts the front end and there for it comes up really quick.. I was looking for smoother lift. The hill climbing is much safer now though... At least I can make it up with out dumping over backwards 2 times of that and I was ready to quit riding, a 500lb quad on top of you sucks big time....

A longer swingarm would solve my problem and make it a lot more fun on the trails and I could take the wieght out so the steering is lighter again... Just found out that rear spacers really increase the steering effort especially at full throttle.. The more stable I make it the harder turning it becomes.. You know anybody that does a arm lengthing CHEAP but safe. Let me know cause I need a longer swingarm bad.. +2 should do the trick maybe 3 though..

Old 12-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: plainbroke
Yes, my buddy has a 2002 4x4 scrambler and it will NOT pull the front end, no matter how hard you try.. Sssooooo
We wieghed his front and back and my 2x4 scrambler front and back and found that the 4x4 is 30 lbs heavier due the 4 wheel drive system.. so thirty pounds of wieght in the front right between the front wheels should cure the problem of too easy to wheelie, not so we forgot to factor in the 4x4s extra drag on the motor from extra rotating mass it just made wheelies scarier because now it is REALLY in the power band when it lifts the front end and there for it comes up really quick.. I was looking for smoother lift. The hill climbing is much safer now though... At least I can make it up with out dumping over backwards 2 times of that and I was ready to quit riding, a 500lb quad on top of you sucks big time....

A longer swingarm would solve my problem and make it a lot more fun on the trails and I could take the wieght out so the steering is lighter again... Just found out that rear spacers really increase the steering effort especially at full throttle.. The more stable I make it the harder turning it becomes.. You know anybody that does a arm lengthing CHEAP but safe. Let me know cause I need a longer swingarm bad.. +2 should do the trick maybe 3 though..

its hard to believe its that easy to pull up... its the front wheel spacers that really screw up your steering. You might notice a difference with rear ones tho.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

I do not understand why people think that a 500 would be so hard to pull the front end ? My 91 350L will pull the front end with a little coaxing, and that thing IS HEAVY it is a 2 stroke and has a LOT of snap. (fresh rebuild this winter) I rode a lot of quads before I bought my scrambler, I have to admit the auto tranny was my deciding factor the shifting all the time when riding trails was not for me, now I hear that the raptor 700 can stay in 3rd most of the time and is a ball to ride in the woods.. I will be test riding one of those soon...

You should ride one if you get the chance they have surprisingly stout motors in them..

Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: plainbroke
I do not understand why people think that a 500 would be so hard to pull the front end ? My 91 350L will pull the front end with a little coaxing, and that thing IS HEAVY it is a 2 stroke and has a LOT of snap. (fresh rebuild this winter) I rode a lot of quads before I bought my scrambler, I have to admit the auto tranny was my deciding factor the shifting all the time when riding trails was not for me, now I hear that the raptor 700 can stay in 3rd most of the time and is a ball to ride in the woods.. I will be test riding one of those soon...

You should ride one if you get the chance they have surprisingly stout motors in them..
well, 500 pounds it pretty freakin heavy if you ask me. I guess not for a sport utility though. My Z is right around 400 pounds and pulls up easily but its nothing shocking. I cant believe polaris put a 500 2 stroke motor in a sport ute though. That a powerful motor if you ask me. Just seems like a weird idea. I bet its fun though. And its 2 stroke, right? Whats the top speed?

Old 12-24-2005, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ
well, 500 pounds it pretty freakin heavy if you ask me. I guess not for a sport utility though. My Z is right around 400 pounds and pulls up easily but its nothing shocking. I cant believe polaris put a 500 2 stroke motor in a sport ute though. That a powerful motor if you ask me. Just seems like a weird idea. I bet its fun though. And its 2 stroke, right? Whats the top speed?
No the 500 is 4-stroke.

And the 2x4's and 4x4's both pull up fairly easy once you get the timing down for when the tranny engages.

Here's a reverse wheelie on a 500 (my friend) and my woman on the seat.... Click here

And here is one on a sportsman with her on the front....
Click here

Old 12-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: JoshCVBz
Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ
No the 500 is 4-stroke.

And the 2x4's and 4x4's both pull up fairly easy once you get the timing down for when the tranny engages.

Here's a reverse wheelie on a 500 (my friend) and my woman on the seat.... Click here

And here is one on a sportsman with her on the front....
Click here
Ok, whats what I thought. I didnt think they would have a 2 stroke engine. I got cofused I guess.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Well, I'm not going to argue with anyone about it. I believe you. Now I'm kinda wanting to ride a scrambler just to see for myself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

By the way, Josh- have you guys found a better place to ride yet? I know you were looking for one. Love you videos. They helped get me started making videos and trying some stunts I would have never thought to try and pull. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Later, Strongtyer

Old 12-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Get you a 660 raptor with a pipe hold it on the rev limiter in first dump the clutch and hope you have a grab bar and an *** left.... LOL

Old 12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

Once you get good at it you can try your hand at a banshee LOL nose heavy and when the power band hits, well the grab bar usually scraps for a min.
also if your not on the street or a really good tracking suface you only spin.............................
If your just learning allot of guys like to put there foot on the grab bar, when you know how to find the sweet spot move to the seat.
good luck and dont be scared the worst that usually happens is you end up sitting on the ground with the quad sitting on its tail, no big deal.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Forget about wheelies once your good at them try a stoppie easy on pavement but hard as he!! on dirt.