Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Is the zilla the fastest Quad ever??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the zilla the fastest Quad ever??????

Originally posted by: TrikeMan05
You also have to consider traction. Thats probably why the Raptor is "winning" the drags. A 500cc 2stroke will spin like crazy. Get some traction and say good bye to Mr. Raptor.

I am going to disagree with that. It is harder to get traction with a 4-stroke than with a 2 beacuse 4-strokes make more torque down low. A 2 stroke makes its power in the mid to high end when its in is powerband.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Raptor660Rshee350
Originally posted by: TrikeMan05
You also have to consider traction. Thats probably why the Raptor is "winning" the drags. A 500cc 2stroke will spin like crazy. Get some traction and say good bye to Mr. Raptor.

I am going to disagree with that. It is harder to get traction with a 4-stroke than with a 2 beacuse 4-strokes make more torque down low. A 2 stroke makes its power in the mid to high end when its in is powerband.
Are you kidding? TrikeMan hit the nail on the head. First off, no one "lugs" their quad when starting off in a drag. You rev to the moon as much as possible before dropping or slightly feathering the clutch on take off. So the low end torque isn't nearly as much of a factor as high end hp. Case in point, Banshees have virtually no low end, yet they are awsome drag quads because of their high end HP. Second, have you ever ridden a zilla? The torque is amazing. Even if it were a large bore 4 stroke, it's impressive. Third, have you watched many drag races? I've had close drag races on a zilla before and have even lost trying to race lesser 4 strokes in sand due to ridiculous spinning from being way under tired. On asphalt where traction wasn't an issue, it wasn't even a contest with the same quads. Nearly everyone, even 4 stroke enthusiasts, will tell you that most 4 stroke quads need far less tire to hook up good than comparable 2 strokes. Just look at the typical sand tires Banshees and zillas use when drag racing. They're huge! The 4 strokes that are really good drag racers are the multi cylindered crotch rocket hybrids, and they're not good because of their low end torque. They're good from their high reving HP. And look at the size of the tires people run on them! High end HP requires more traction due to spinning.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 4FITTY
I had a 87 zilla which was the fastest of the years and mine would go 77 mph flat out on blacktop As far as the quickest NO the 700 raptor will beat it in a drag race but not by much at all I know this because my brother still has my old zilla and it is stock except for a fresh 10 over bore and Hoyt's 700 will beat it every time By the way they are both bone stock except the airbox lid on both I will ask them to race top speed and I will let you know who wins We are also at 600 elevation
Thats a 700 sportbike against a 500 sportbike. If it was a 700 2 stroke say goodbye to the raptor.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

power pulses per rpm defines paddle spacing A banshee has 2 power pulses per 360 degrees so then it can handle more paddles because the the rpm in between the power pulses is only 180 degrees rotation of the crank so it has a minimal rpm loss between paddles A 4 stroke has one power pulse per 720 degrees rotation of the crank shaft so you need less paddles Because they will lower the the rpm in between the power pulses and then the motor will have to try and make up for the lost rpm So a 70 hp banshee could use a 12 paddle and a 70 hp raptor needs a 6 paddle to run at its best THESE ARE JUST EXAMPLES