Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

warrior with alchohol?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior with alchohol?

im finding that my quad is running weaker in the warmer weather and when the tempature cools down, it runs stronger. Im thinking that this could be becasue Im running a little bit rich. So if I run alchohol in warm weather, will this fix this problem and if it does how much should i run? (I got a 2.4 gallon tank.)

Old 06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Range Rover

noone knows anything?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ZapooMafoo

im finding that my quad is running weaker in the warmer weather and when the tempature cools down, it runs stronger. Im thinking that this could be becasue Im running a little bit rich. So if I run alchohol in warm weather, will this fix this problem and if it does how much should i run? (I got a 2.4 gallon tank.)</end quote></div>

well there are a couple of things that will cause this. 1)colder air holds a higher content of oxygen atoms, therefore the fuel that you are mixing with that air burns more completly which in turn allows you to produce more horsepower. 2) your quad is air cooled, as temps go up the lubrication qualities of the oil break down causing more friction inside your engine, this heats up the fuel, engine etc. which robs horsepower. Normally your engine would run 250F in the summer it could run as hot as 325-350.
AND, do not run alchohol in your engine. It will not run properly. It burns to hot and you could burn a hole in your piston, burn valves etc. You also have to make all kinds of jetting changes etc to make it run properly. Usually on a race motor to run 50% or more alchohol you almost have to double the size of the jets b/c it takes a lot more to make proper combustion.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think your jetting is off, just try some different jets rather than try changing fuel.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

i dont want to try different jets becasue when the weather is cooler out in runs great... but when the weather gets really hot it just runs a little bit weaker. I was just wondering if I could do somthing that could make it a little bit stronger in the hot weather. If nothing can be done without jetting im fine with that. Its not that noticible.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ZapooMafoo

im finding that my quad is running weaker in the warmer weather and when the tempature cools down, it runs stronger. Im thinking that this could be becasue Im running a little bit rich. So if I run alchohol in warm weather, will this fix this problem and if it does how much should i run? (I got a 2.4 gallon tank.)</end quote></div>

Go to the Arctic Cat forum and look up 'Air-jetting', that will cure your problem for about $3-$6.00....
Alcohol will actually lower your combustion chamber temp by about 100 degrees. Alcohol burns on the surface and does not explode. It will also ionize your gas (make a mist from large drops of gas) allowing better distrobution of the gas and better combustion. I do not know the mix ratio but I know it is small (possibly an ounce or two per gal of gas - maybe more maybe less, I don't know exactly). It basically acts like air to lean your mixture - but will burn at a lower temp, keeping your engine cooler.
Go to this link and it will provide some additional info about the use of alcohol.
http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_remoteFB.htm

You don't have to induct it you can mix it. Years ago you could buy gasahol at the gas station.