Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Interesting update on the FX

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cannondalemotorcycle.com/fx400_ptw.html

Cannondale updated their site and added this power graphic. It's believable, except I'm not quite sure how the DS has a higher PTW ratio, yet is slower than the Raptor. Maybe it's all about what RPM range the power is produced.

Old 01-14-2001, 02:05 AM
Range Rover

I just got back from that site. I don't know if I believe the H.P. #'s. 28 for a Raptor, 31 for DS!? Maybe. 1 thing is for sure, if the #'s don't lie, this quad will be GREAT!

Old 01-14-2001, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

someone explain that to mee i dont see what they are coming up with

Old 01-14-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I even wonder if we'll ever see this quad. The look has already changed somewhat. It's just getting boring now. Too long of a wait. I'd rather ride an atc 90 then hear about a corvette.

Old 01-14-2001, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from that web site........WHOA!!!
If this is true.............

Old 01-14-2001, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from that web site........WHOA!!!
If this is true.............

Old 01-15-2001, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

They are comparing weight to horsepower, thus the ratio. Here's an example: If Quad A weighs 300 lbs. and has 20 horsepower has the same ratio of a 450 lb. quad w/ 30 horsepower.
However....when I checked each machine's web site, the weights were, on average, 25 lbs. heavier in C-dale's tests. That said, it's almost impossible for the FX to be EXACTLY the same weight as on their own spec sheets.

I did my own comparison and compensated for the weight increase on the other three and put the FX at 381 lbs. I won't dispute the dynamo #'s, beacuse everyone will have different results. This is what I came up with using C-dale's weights on the three quads and the corrected #'s for the FX:

1. FX400(381 lbs./33 hp) .087
2. DS650(499 lbs./37 hp) .074
3. 660R(420 lbs./28 hp) .067
4. 400EX(389 lbs./21 hp) .054

It doesn't change the results, but I think it's a more fair representation of these four excellent machines.
If I had VERIFIED figures on a Banshee, I could've done it as well. Yamaha claims 386 lbs, but like most manufacturers, do not list horsepower figures.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

personally I think that Cannondale missed the freight train to success on their FX400. Cannondale announced the making of this quad how long ago? I can't even remember...then Bombardier explods into the market with the DS650 and everyone went nuts because of that size of a big bore. Then Yamaha sneaks in with the Raptor as a competitor of the big bores. I think we all remember the hype that Honda stirred up with the unveiling of the 400ex in 1999. I'm sorry but 400 size is out the door. Now we all can't wait to see if Suzuki or Kawasaki will jump into the big bore exhibition. Cannondale and Husaberg stirred some commotion with their announcing but it's over for them. Don't get me wrong, I know they will sell some quads because there is those individuals that will want them just to be different. Then you have to ask yourself, is that satisfaction worth wasting the money or should you apply the money towards something more reliable and test proven. Your choice, but when it comes to counting them pennies then I think we know which route should be taken.

Old 01-21-2001, 01:44 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with you newdsowner, they missed the boat. Also, the new mx bike, from what i have read and heared was nice put and respectfully called a pile of junk. it is not competitive nor does it hold up well, it keeps braking. these guys should have stuck to mountian bikes and learned from other manufacters how to build a quad and dirt bike, the have basically made fools of the selves.

Raptor2001 blue
Warrior , modified purple and grey

Old 01-21-2001, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with the general direction of some of the posts on this thread. How can anyone not appreciate a new manufacturer coming to the table with a new sport machine? The competition is of direct benefit to all of us. Cannondale has been learning in a trial by fire from it's experiences with the motocross bike and I don't blame them for any delays with the quad as long as they are being dedicated to getting it right when it sees production. As far as the 400cc size being dead I think we'll see the sport market segment into smaller more nimble machines and larger open class bikes. Look no further than the talk of Bombardier looking to add a smaller machine to comliment the offering of its DS. With regards to Cannondale missing the boat they had to show the quad in Indianapolis long before its intended release to guage how much buzz it would generate to determine how viable the project was for them to take into production. As I mentioned before how would it have benefitted them to rush it to market and have it experience as many teething problems as the MX bike?

Quick Reply: Interesting update on the FX