Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Looking for a cheap way to get a few extra hp.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a cheap way to get a few extra hp.

Thanks for the advice guys!! There has to be something that I can do with my intake, even if I have to fabricate something myself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. I have a couple of buddies that work at the Suzuki shop that could probably help. If I/we can increase the air intake (while still staying trail worthy) add a new exhaust, rejett, and upgrade the CDI box, would there be a noticeable difference? Wait, don't answer that!! That is a stupid question!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

This is more money then I wanted to spend, but that always seems to be how toys work out. I will upgrade one piece at a time and will happily keep everybody undated on the progress and performance gains. I am going to do some research and price these parts on the internet and in the local shops. If you have any suggestions on brands, let me know. I have to negotiate with the wife on how quickly this gets done. Probably going to have to get her Worrier (see *) an upgrade for every one of mine. I am thinking spring to mid-summer. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to feel the power gains until the snow and ice melts. Not enough traction.

Again, I will keep everybody posted and thank for all the responses!

*I know, I know...it's a Yamaha Worrier and it's not worth upgrading. My wife is stubborn and she likes her little bike! Please see new thread.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORJ, I bought most of my parts from www.partsforatvs.com. The company is called mods3 and they are based in florida. I shopped everywhere on the net and they beat everyone's prices and shipped everything free 2nd day. They will wheel and deal for sure. They are a direct dealer for UM Racing who makes a lot of good aluminum parts. Shop around and see for yourself. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, Warriors are not bad atv's. I know several people who love them and won't give them up either. Don't worry about it, atleast she's riding with you! A happy wife is a happy life! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys i have heard that with the newer 4 strokes that the slip ons add a decent amount of power. i have also heard that the header pipes give all the power. just wondering if you guys new anything about this? thanks

Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty general statement....every atv is different. Some head pipes are very good so upgrading may not give you any gain in hp. Some are very restrictive so you would see more hp. The same goes for manufacturers of exhausts. For example, HMF pipes work very well, if not the best, for the predator. However, the same pipe may not work as well for a raptor. It all has to do with design and bends and the flow and also where you lack power on the atv vs where you gain power on the pipe. This is all just my theory, though, and I am in no way a mechanic. I just read alot and sometimes that gets me into trouble! LOL! Needless to say, like drturbo said, your engine is a pump. More air in + more air out = more power. That said, a full exhaust alone will reap some reward, but increasing the air intake and proper jetting will maximize the power you can get from adding the exhaust. I hope this makes sense [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

somewher on here a guy put garden hoses off his air box and up towards the handle bars that way watter could not get in but it still let air in let me see if i can fnd it

Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid/5/threadid/521276

found it!!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>From the factory my ATV was jetted rich. Even though it would do 50mph and ocassionally 52. there seemed to be a flat spot where the engine had a hard time getting the last couple hundred rpms before hitting the limiter. I went to smaller jets and fixed the pull but seemed to loose some HP, rightly so - you only get HP from gas. After reading about TPI air jetting, it made sence that I was not getting enough air with the 150 main jet and the right jet was a 142 (less HP also). </end quote></div>

OUTSTANDING!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

Real cheap performance boost for a lot of us (myself included)...loose some weight.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

are you calling me fat!!!

no im just kidding