Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

suggest a sport bike to a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anything about them( I do have a utility quad). I've raced AMA Motocross for the last 7 years. I had to give it up do to excessive injuries.
Ultimately I want a play toy to see if ATV racing is for me.
So what is the best factory machine out there, on a budget? I live in the South East. The terrain here is hard packed dirt, usually bumpy. I'm not interested in the fastest straight line machine. I want one that can get through and out of the turns quickly, with a competitive speed.
I also want a model where mods are available. Ideally good priced aftermarket sprockets. Of coarse engine mods may be desireable as well. I just don't want to sink 15 grand in a play toy, then find out I'm not good enough to race. Oh by the way I only want new models. I don't want to run around the country to find a 250 r in excellent condition. As far as riding conditions, short bursts of heavy throttle, then the twisties, then twisting the wick again. That pretty well frazes the terrain of the East.
Thanks guys.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

A 400ex would be a good choice. Plenty of upgrades available.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

There's your answer. Next question?

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 01-03-2000, 11:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400EX. That is your answer. My opinion: the 400ex handles much better than anything else, much like the legendary 250R. There are great power upgrades (440 bore kit, compete`s with the R) exhaust upgrades, everything. The only thing compairable would be a banshee, but the handling is not there, the powerband is very narrow (like a 125) it hits hard though. No low end power out of the turns with out tricky clutch movements. You can get unusable power upgrades for the engine, but they dont do it any justice other than for sand shooting and straight line racing. I would hate to see another uninformed, loudmouth, my quad is faster than everything banshee owner made here. Get the 400ex. Straight line isnt everything. just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2000, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Stick with Honda if you do anything, i agree the 400EX would be the best, if you can up the cash just go after a 300EX, not as fast, but just as fun!!

------------------
RangerSX 1987 Honda 250X(completely stock)

Old 01-04-2000, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've read quite a bit on the 400 ex. It seems many like it. What are the essential mods to gain the most power with the least money and mechanical ability? In other words bolt ons and simple enternal adjustmenst such as upping the compression ratio. I currently have a kawasaki prarie. Not the fastest at around 58 mph with 26" tires and a few mods to take it to 21 hp. The thing handles like a brick. The slightest turn let's you know real quick to not push it. In dealing with motorcycles I found there is a threshold where you can up the power. Then drop down one toothe on the countershaft sprocket, giving basically the same acceleration of a stock machine, with just a little gain in top end for the larger tracks. Can this be done with quads?
I've never really dealt with 4 strokes that much. I would assume it is a little tough to get major rpm increases for top end. So I was wondering if hp along with a taller gear is the answer for them? Or possibly going to a taller rear tire to get the top end on long straights.
On the other hand if woods riding, around here 70 mph will get you dead in a hurry. For this a top end of 55-60 would be ideal and the acceleration would more than likely be superb. I understand that in it's stock form it is probably suitable for most conditions. But I am a tinkerer and can't resist playing around to find the best setup for different circumstances.
Thanks again guys.

Old 01-04-2000, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

The 400EX is a great sport quad. Simple mods include new pipes, new piston, cams, air box. Pretty much the same as a 2-stroke hop up. This thing turns on a dime with your pinkes, the suspension will soak up a lot, it has good smooth power, and is good for any type of terrain.

------------------
Evan Johnson 99 400EX 88 LT250R

I apologize ahead of time for my bad spelling/typing

Old 01-06-2000, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try out a blaster..

andy

Old 01-07-2000, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys I ended up buying a used 00' 400 EX. I guess there was a divorce involved and the wife got the quad. It has an hour gauge under the handle bars. She said he put it on there when new to keep up with oil changes. Anyways it had 42 hours. It has a CT racing package. I haven't been able to find the site but I have a dyno run of 40 hp and a letter with a parts list and explanation of 100 octane or better. She also threw in 24 tires, rims and all the stock accessories. My GPS clocked it at 106 mph with 24" rears. PHEW what a rush. I went to my calculating progran to confirm it and it was 106 mph at 11,000 rpm. All this for $3500. I was guessing a stock bike would go $4500-$5000, so I am very pleased.
I had a chance to ride maybe 45 minutes on a TT track, boy is this thing fun. I've been playing around in the back field as well, it's amazing how much better this handles than a utility quad. I honestly didn't know a quad could be so fast an turn so sharply. I guess I'm kinda like a kid with a new toy, I just had to tell someone about it.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-07-2000, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

A new 400 goes for 5600. Did it perform to what u expected and how does it compar to your dirt bikes and old 4 wheeler

------------------
Forum Police

Evan Johnson 400EX/LT250R

"Please adhere to the ATV Connection Forum guidelines regarding embedded
graphics/gimmicks. They take up too much bandwidth which could otherwise be
used for posting text messages."

Thank You for your cooperation

atvbbs

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 01-10-2000).]

Quick Reply: suggest a sport bike to a newbie