Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How can I convince my dad that sport quads are good on trails ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
I had an 06 KFX400, the only place I rode it was on the trails. Was never any problems with it.

If you are the one paying for the quad, in the most respectful way you can, I'd point that out to him. My dad didn't agree with every purchase I ever made, but when it came down to it, he knew it was my money.

Thanks for the feedback. My dad also didn't agree with my purchases. He was against me going over to 2 wheels (I think he was concerned I might hurt myself and I'm glad he looks out for me) But he let me because I payed for it, and I pay for parts and gas. Tonight I mentioned to him if I do get a sport atv I will be paying for it and he said "As long as my money is not involved, you have my permission".

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jgar
Maybe something like this.....
I though about what you said in reguards to a new 450. I think you may be right a 450 would be a handful and not the best trail machine. What do you think about me getting a 400? They are more tame and trailable. In a few years when Iam older and more mature I could move up to a 450.

I think if you turn to the internet to try to find ways to get your dad to get you a 450 you might be too young for one in the first place. Iam sure your dad is just looking out for you.

You're probably right about a 450 being a handful, I'm sure he'd be more comfortable letting me go for a 400, such as a 400ex or a z400. He knows both of those are much more trail friendly.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cannuckkid1
Thanks for the feedback. My dad also didn't agree with my purchases. He was against me going over to 2 wheels (I think he was concerned I might hurt myself and I'm glad he looks out for me) But he let me because I payed for it, and I pay for parts and gas. Tonight I mentioned to him if I do get a sport atv I will be paying for it and he said "As long as my money is not involved, you have my permission".
It's not easy for any parent to put their child on a machine that can cause a great deal of harm, so I can see why he is concerned. You do have the advantage of experience with two wheels and that will serve you well. Make sure you let him know you appreciate him allowing you to make the decision as well as his concern for your safety.

And most of all, let him take it for a ride.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Definitely look at the 400 class. Used ones are fairly cheap and with all the mods available, you'll be able to add power as you skill and comfort with the machine grow.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Well, not everyone is looking to ride in deep mud, snow, and crazy rock gardens. If someone is looking for a machine to jump, slide, wheelie, ride fast, and to satisfy that little speed demon in all of us, then I certainly wouldn't advocate a 4x4 as a first choice. The truth is that many trails are easily handled by pretty much any machine out there. The question is are sport quads suitable for trail riding, and the answer is absolutely. Where else would you propose using a 300EX or even the slew of 2wd utes from years gone by? Mud, rocks, and snow were not invented after 4x4 became the norm on utes...
agreed......my trx250ex does trails just fine. sure i know its limitations nor do i "fly" down the trails at 94 mph. but it handles everything we throw at it. people have to use the brain when riding and make smart decisions on any quad that's on the trails.
now, the trailblazer i had handled the rough stuff better than my honda and almost as good as my grizzly. its wide/long wheelbase is ideal for trail riding. smooooth ride it is, yes.........

Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your dad is entitled to his opinion. I think he is wrong on this, but hey, he's your dad. I ride on trails with plenty of hill climbs dotted with rocks the size of my head or bigger. I have a Prairie 700 UTE with Elka shocks up front and Progressive in the rear. I cannot imagine riding the KDX bike that I had on these trails. I'd spend more time with my foot down on the ground than on the pegs. Having said that, we have a Yamaha Raptor 700 and a Banshee that ride with us. No problems other than picking different lines due to the shorter tires than my quad.

I got to ride an Arctic Cat DVX 400 for a day and it was a blast. It required more thought and a different approach then my big Utility so it was challenging and very very fun. I'm looking at a sport quad but may just get the 2012 Brute Force. If the GNCC guys can race in the woods then you can ride trails.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sport quads go just about anywhere... I myself ride a Yfz 450 and I do about 75% of my riding on the Piaute Trail in Utah the other 25% I ride the trails in and around Las Vegas and also play at Dumont Sand Dunes in the winter season. My wife and 2 son's ride 400's and go anywhere I go.. but honestly when I come to an age( which I am 50 now ;0) ) I will eventually go to a Utility Quad but that will be AWHILE !!! :0)

Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

I have both sports quad and uts and to be honest with you I'd rather ride the sports quads most of the time. The steering is much easier (I know there is power steering but I'm old school here and don't like electrical stuff and water mixing).
My wife is every bit of 100lbs and she rides a raptor 700r and goes MOST of the same places I do. Its hard to argue that uts can go places sports bikes can't and compare it to racing... The same could be said the other way sports bikes can go places that uts can't go. Look at the hill climbs. But he is planning on riding trails. If his dad is worried about him getting hurt on a quad, do you really think he is going to want him riding trails that are that advanced that he couldn't navigate without having 4wd?
Honestly, both kinds have thier advantages and disadvantages. I've ridden atvs since before they had four wheels and I'll say this, if you respect a quad it will give you good service, if you disrespect them, they will hurt ya. Period.
I hope if you honestly are interested in quads again you will do your homework and buy something that is in your size range and most importantly give dad some due here and if you buy a sports bike treat it with respect and be safe. Oh yea don't forget that helmet.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
If you are the one paying for the quad, in the most respectful way you can, I'd point that out to him.

he who pays the bill- calls the shots. if you're paying for the atv, then buy the atv you want.

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky
Utilitys are an overkill on normal trails... They ride and act like a tank, crawling over mini obsticlals that we sport riders may... jump....

And really, my sporties make it through ever bit 'o' mud they hit.... The only reason i'd need one was if i had insanely deep mud and water.....

I can't wait to tow your sport riding *** out of a hole some day
it's not just about "getting through".... it's about effortlessly "getting through" and feeling good at the end of a 12 hour ride over diverse terrain!

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
You're Dad is right. You should listen to him.

for some reason- all you sport quad riders think riding a utility atv is like riding a tractor

if you have not been on a new big-bore utility within the last 5 years, you're seriously missing out and your opinion that utility atv's are slow, heavy boring machines is seriously antiquated and way off!

of course a "sport only" quad is a bit lighter and more nimble than a 4x4- but I challenge any sport quad rider to try out a brute force 750 or a renegade / outlander 800 / 1000 and to not have a grin from ear to ear! You punch the throttle on a rene 800 4x4 and you're flipping the atv right over! it'll throw you right off the back- same with the brute 750. Gone are the days where utility = "farmer-joe" like 4x4 atv's.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut

for some reason- all you sport quad riders think riding a utility atv is like riding a tractor

of course a "sport only" quad is a bit lighter and more nimble than a 4x4- but I challenge any sport quad rider to try out a brute force 750 or a renegade / outlander 800 / 1000 and to not have a grin from ear to ear! You punch the throttle on a rene 800 4x4 and you're flipping the atv right over! it'll throw you right off the back- same with the brute 750. Gone are the days where utility = "farmer-joe" like 4x4 atv's.
Easy there farmer joe .
I think the tractor reference is about size not performance for the big bore 4x4. They are huge.
Personally on a big 4x4 I feel like I'm along for the ride and not if full control. With my little sporty I can take what few lbs I have and really manipulate the machine so it does exactly what I want, with the exception of mud.

Quick Reply: How can I convince my dad that sport quads are good on trails ?