Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

My Machine (The UTE Smoker)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moose, care to make a little bet???
We could run that trail one at a time, against the clock. Up and back down. You use 4wd and if I have to I can lift me ars end over the ledge.
You guys really do have the better quads for this area. I gust like to go against the grain....

Beergut, Next time you run local give me a heads up. You have any interest coming back up my way?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jgar
Moose, care to make a little bet???
We could run that trail one at a time, against the clock. Up and back down. You use 4wd and if I have to I can lift me ars end over the ledge.
You guys really do have the better quads for this area. I gust like to go against the grain....

Beergut, Next time you run local give me a heads up. You have any interest coming back up my way?
The other reason I ride the big ute is that it is less brutal on my back than the sport quads or solid axle quads. Speed is not in my vocabulary as far as rocky hills go. I don't need the pounding. I'm willing to bet that if you can get up it with the sporty you will beat me timewise. I'm also willing to bet, if you had a Renegade 500 or 800 you could probably beat your own times up and down the hill. I'm more of the crawl over the rocks kind of rider than the beat the tar out of my quad by hitting rocks and ledges at high speeds. I like speed on long hills (why I bought the 650) and smooth trails but not on New England granite. If they're rocks football sized or smaller, fine. But not the foot + rocks we crawl over.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know you would not take me up on a bet like that, thats why I asked .
Bg told me about you guys in Claremont and how you stoped in the middle of a really steep rock climb .
I will admit the 4wd quads do look fun but Iam happy with my ex and I'll still whoop you guys on the trails.

Edit, we should do a lmft ride before it gets to cold. I would like to see you guys doing the whole rock crawling thing. There is a lot of climbs there that I cant do and dont even want to try. But I'll go down anything.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky
My bike happens to be running like a champ!! And it will for the next..... couple years.... hopefully...

One of these days i'm going to set this guy straight...

lol

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I love riding up in your area- the next couple of weekends are packed, but mid october I'm in for a days worth of riding

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The other reason I ride the big ute is that it is less brutal on my back than the sport quads or solid axle quads. Speed is not in my vocabulary as far as rocky hills go. I don't need the pounding. I'm willing to bet that if you can get up it with the sporty you will beat me timewise. I'm also willing to bet, if you had a Renegade 500 or 800 you could probably beat your own times up and down the hill. I'm more of the crawl over the rocks kind of rider than the beat the tar out of my quad by hitting rocks and ledges at high speeds. I like speed on long hills (why I bought the 650) and smooth trails but not on New England granite. If they're rocks football sized or smaller, fine. But not the foot + rocks we crawl over.

I wouldn't make any bets with jgar either- he was actually pulling away from me on the washout- I was just kinda "blipping" along- when I looked up ahead all I saw was jgars *** end bouncing all over the place

I cant imagine him on a renegade 800 or 1000- he'd probably kill himself!

moose- where was that really steep rocky incline where I was ahead of you - you stopped in the middle to get into 4x4- I remember the hill made my *** pucker a bit on the way up... was that in claremont? it was just the two of us I think

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I know you would not take me up on a bet like that, thats why I asked .
Bg told me about you guys in Claremont and how you stoped in the middle of a really steep rock climb .
I will admit the 4wd quads do look fun but Iam happy with my ex and I'll still whoop you guys on the trails.

Edit, we should do a lmft ride before it gets to cold. I would like to see you guys doing the whole rock crawling thing. There is a lot of climbs there that I cant do and dont even want to try. But I'll go down anything.
I don't think it was quite as bad as he's making it out to be if I didn't have it in 4wd to begin with.

The Jeep rock climb at LMFT stopped all of us with quads. I think Roadie was the only one willing to hit it with the kind of speed to carry his RZR over it. I tried the right side laying on the handlebars and couldn't get enough traction. If it's really steep I don't like the stab the throttle technique. To easy to hit one rock hard enough that the springs push the nose and you end up with your quad doing an end over end down a hill.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by beergut

moose- where was that really steep rocky incline where I was ahead of you - you stopped in the middle to get into 4x4- I remember the hill made my *** pucker a bit on the way up... was that in claremont? it was just the two of us I think
Please don't include, "it was just the two of us", and the comment about your backside in the same post..... Keep it up and I won't respond to your posts anymore.... Geez....

I think it was in Claremont on the ride in October when my son, Moose One was with us. It was climbing a two track connector up to Stagecoach. I didn't find it too bad. There are a couple trails I haven't taken you guys down that if the weather was better we could try. There's a really rocky one I haven't been on in a couple years in the Mica Mine area. I once followed a guy in a RZR that was going over foot and half sized rocks at about 30 mph up there. I can't imagine how his skid plate looked. I had a few dents in the X2's metal skid plates that I bent back out.

Really, I think the only trails that "scare" me are steep trails with boulders that are almost vertical. I don't mean 1-2 foot sized rocks. The 4'+ ones that have you on a steep incline almost as long as your quad. The only other ones that I err on the side of caution are when it's really cold out and you don't know how deep the water/mudhole is.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I, SOOOOO want to see you in the mudholes in Claremont...

I do admit throwing around the lightweights is a lot of fun. Extracting them all day from headlight deep holes is not. I understand there was a hill you couldn't get up last week. This can't be true!!! Or, is it?
Still feel the same way ?
I saw the look on your face when I started climbing that nasty hill you said I should probably go around.
I want to go back in a few weeks to ride the really hard trails. You interested?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Still feel the same way ?
I saw the look on your face when I started climbing that nasty hill you said I should probably go around.
I want to go back in a few weeks to ride the really hard trails. You interested?
Sure. I always like to try new trails. I'm thinking with the X2 with the ITP XTRs on it, I might have made it up the 2.5' deep rutted trail. It had a lot better bite on the sidewalls than the Carlisle ACTs. And I know I had more clearance underneath. Other than near vertical rock climbs, and one mudhole, that's the only time I've ever been defeated other than deep snow. I still would like you to try Claremont. There are some mudholes there that make the little ones at Pisgah look like puddles. We should get a good group ride going up there. Would be fun. If you can make it through those holes I'd truly crown you king of the quads.

Quick Reply: My Machine (The UTE Smoker)