Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Hare Scrambles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirtwheels lists them in the mags three or four times a year for the whole country.

Old 10-06-2001, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

IceMan11, because I race exclusively Hare Scrambles I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know.

Normally the Hare Scramble tracks in our area are around 5 miles long. It's a pretty easy format, go for 2 hours and who ever gets the most laps wins. If you have the same amount of laps as someone else, like if you were neck and neck all race, then you would place just like in a MX race. Whoever gets to the finish line first to record the last lap wins. So the top ten can still duke it out till the end. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I think your quad would be very competitive in a Hare Scramble and if you have MX experience that will help a lot to. The only part I see throwing you is maybe the hill climbs, but with a Raptor I'm sure you could learn quick!

There are basically two Scramble schedules to go by in North East Ohio, AMA District 12 and CRA. At both AMA and CRA tracks you can sign up the day of the race.

AMA will cost you $30 for a 1 year membership fee, $7 to get in and $20 to race. In AMA quads race at 10am and big bikes at 1pm. AMA has about 8 Hare Scrambles a season and also features, in it's first year, the Buddy Up Cross Country Series that has 8 rounds I think. You will find that AMA doesn't have many races a year but the tracks are always neat and have good facilities, like bathrooms! I like to race all the AMA Scrambles just to chase points because I can make it to every race. I'm in 4th right now in the Novice class. You also would race the Novice quad class. Check out the AMA District 12 web site at www.d12ama.com and a nice site with a message board at www.pitracer.com

CRA will cost you $10 for a 1 year membership fee, $7 to get in and $15 to race. So CRA is cheaper. In CRA big bikes race at 10am and quads at 1pm. CRA also has a Scramble nearly every weekend during the season which is nice cause you can always race if you really want to. Some of the tracks don't have bathrooms (not that it really matters). The CRA tracks vary a lot in difficulty with Lightning and Big Game being 2 of the hardest and Mansfield and Salem being 2 of the easiest. In CRA you would race the Woodsmen quad class, which is the Novice class they just call in Woodsmen. There is a race this Sunday at Salem and would be a great place to start. Check out the schedule at
www.alltel.net/~racecra

There are also a few "Outlaw" Hare Scrambles, there is one comming up at Battlesburg. There is information about it on the pitracer web site.

The AMA race in St. Clairsville this weekend is a Grand National Cross Counrty race(GNCC). Anyone can race them, but mostly it's just for the Pro's. They are the same format as Hare Scrambles. The GNCC's are on Fox Sports. This weekend it's on Sunday at 3am. Most of the time there on around noon Sat. or Sun. I don't know what's up with that this weekend. I hope they go back afternoons. You can find more information about the GNCC's at www.GNCCracing.com

I race a combination of both AMA and CRA. But like I said I will be at every AMA Hare Scramble and Buddy race but only choice CRA events. All you have to do is show up at least an hour before your race, go to the sign up booth and they will fix you up. Just make sure you give your self enough time to get ready. Also, don't forget about if your going to need to pit for gas or water. You can pit anywhere off the track, you can even park next to the track and just pull up to you truck.

Let me know when you decide to race. If you don't have anyone to go with I will meet you there or something so you don't have to go at it alone.

Hope that helped you guys out. Now get out there and do it!

Old 10-06-2001, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

I pretty much exclusively race harescrambles and Grand prix races as well.

Put your stock axle and control arms back on for xc racing.

People who show up to a race in MX dress (i.e. extended arms & axle), usually pull off the track 1/2 thru the practice lap or injure themselves and their quad.

If you go back to the stock suspension components, you'll have a blast.

Gabe

Old 10-06-2001, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

be narrow ,have a ton of bottom end ,and practice,practice ,practice ,most new bees pull of early due to arm pump ,im not bashing here but a raptor is not a real good quad to hare scramble because if you keep it narrow it is very tippy ,and guy's who run them say it is very hard to find the right gearing. the distance between first and second is diffacault

Old 10-19-2001, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone know where I can get info on hare scrambles in Florida? Also I have a DS650, is this bike too wide for these events?