Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

BUILDERS CHALLENGE??? WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 02:56 PM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUILDERS CHALLENGE??? WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Does anyone read Popular Hot Rodding? In the last several months, they have been conducting a contest of engine builders called "Engine Masters Challenge". What it consists of is a set of rules giving the criteria or limitations of what is allowed and Individuals as well as Businesses put together what they feel is the best combination to produce the Most Torque and Horsepower. They combine the 2 readings, and that is their score. The basics are that they are limited to 366ci, Cast Intake Manifolds, and single 4 Barrel Carburetion.

I don't know about you, but with all the Chest Beating going on in these Forums, this sounds like a cool way to settle the questions once and for all. "Who can build the BADDEST Quad?". I don't know if ATV Connection Magazine has the time or the budget to pull something like this off, but maybe they can arrange it somehow (Find Sponsors).

There would probably have to be a couple different classifications to start out with, (Then compare the finalists in each catagory) such as:

****Just some ideas, open to addjustment.****

4 Stroke 500cc to 750cc
4 Stroke 499cc & Under
2 Stroke 500cc to 750cc
2 Stroke 499cc & Under

**Limited to Quad Production engines.**
Any Head (Or Heads)
Any Exhaust
Any Cam (Or Cams)
No Compression Limits
Carburetor(s) Only (Sorry C-Dales)
No Turbos, NOS, Alky, Fuel Injection or any other type of performance enhancements (Straight Engine Performance).
All motors will run the same Octane Fuel.
Can be Private Builders or Industry Companies. (A chance for Garage Mechanics to compete against the Pros.)

The result could be decided by Dyno testing (Trouble is all Dynos are not the same). Or the winners could be decided by a "Drag Race" set up at a designated time and place. You would then have to determine a set of rules concerning Weight, Gearing, Tires (Size/Type), and so on. Or just say "What the H**L, Run what-cha-brung".

*****Lets hear what you think.*****

Any Companies what to Step Up and take something like this on? Excellent way to Addvertise and sell Performance Products!

Old 12-19-2002, 08:40 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Nuthin? No pros./cons, good idea/bad idea?

Old 12-20-2002, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Well, if your talking about "Who can make the baddest motor shoot out" then I think it's a bad idea. But if you say hey, lets see who can build the best overall quad then yeah I like the idea. Like automotive drag racing, anyone can make a motor produce 500-1000hp, but getting that power to the ground is another story all together. So if you could set a time and place, bring a rear wheel dyno, 300ft drag strip, and a tight turning road coarse, a timer, and create a scoring system to determine an overall best quad, then yeah I would like to see it. It would give a chance to see who could build the ultimate quad by using there brain and $$$ of course. You could have ATVCM or someone to come around to certain events, (fairs, MX's, ect.) advertise in the mag or the net when they will be there, charge $20 to run, and have a chance of being in the mag, and I know people will show up, because everyone wants to think they have the best quad. Then feature the top 3 in each area in the mag, the winner getting the article done on his bike for the mag of course!! Then if someone say they have a better quad, then say why didn't you win when ATVCM came to town?? Also it would give a chance to show the production industry what WE THE RIDERS want out of a TRUE SPORT QUAD!!!! I would come to wherever they were if mine was done in time.