Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

250R Project Quad

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003 | 07:49 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 250R Project Quad

I am wanting to do a 250R Project quad. I know that I would have a great deal of money in it. That is not an issue. I am looking at a frame on ebay. I have been told that buying one already built is the way to go. Part of the fun to me is working and building it like you want it. I want to do something custom. Custom powdercoat job and custom color plastics. I was wondering what I need to do when going about it this way. My first thought would be to work on the chassis. Is this correct? I would want to extend it with at least +2 a arms. I would also want to extend the swingarm. How long? +4 or +6? What brand of a arms and swingarms should I go with. I know there different companies that are really good. I don't want to spend a small fortune it this but I want to get good products that can hold a lot of horsepower.

What I am asking:

- What brand a arms and swingarm?
- Where can I get the powdercoat work done at?
- What size a arms and swingarm?
- What size and brand of axle?
- What do I need to consider when doing this?
- What products should I give a look at?
- Any other input you can give me.

If you think this is a dumb idea don't post here. Don't tell me what it will cost because money is not an object.

-Dave-

Old 02-11-2003 | 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

If money is no object
A Arms and swingarm-Roll Design
Shocks-Axis or Elka
Axle-RPM Dominator (adjustable stock to +4 i think)
Motor- very highly suggest ESR Click here
Good Luck and keep us posted,late,zubbeyboy

Old 02-12-2003 | 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Look in the Dune Zone under the 'Project SandTrax" articles. It's 4 articles about building an R. It may help you some.
I have an 86 lenght swinarm and like the way it is. For A-arms I'd go either +2 or +3 and I'd use Ricky Stator arms.

Powercoating you should be able to get done locally.
Axle either Ricky Stator (best price) or RPM or Lone Star.
Get some good shocks, Axis, TCS, PEP are all good.

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2003 | 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I would not use a stock R chassis. I would go with a Roll or a Walsh...if you don't mind waiting six months. I think Houser is making an R frame now, and you will probably get it a whole lot sooner. Also, look at sparksracing.com for some very fast 250R motors. Just curious but what are you building this for? If you are building it for MX, or sport riding I wouldn't get an extended swingarm I would get a standard length. The long swingarm would be more for drag purposes to keep it from wheelieing so easy, and it will slow down your turning something fierce.

For Honda parts go to servicehonda.com great prices and good service too. Also, kandkatv.com is where I got my R brakes seemed to be the cheapest when I looked. Axis shocks are definetly nice. I really like mine and they seem to be a marked improvement over the TCS I had before.

The biggest factor to think of when building this is time. Waiting, will be probably the biggest factor in this project. If money is not a problem then I would consider ordering the frame of your choice as soon as possible along with the other components you will need from that manufacturer. I would also, get a motor soon, and get it sent to an engine builder like yesterday. You will wait longer for your frame and motor work probably more than any other items. Some 250R oem parts are going to be backordered as well and you will wait at least a couple weeks for them. Also, you should get an oversized radiator Atv Innovations is what I have, but the GT Thunder looks good too. Anyway, sorry this post is so long, but I hope it helps. I do agree it is fun to build them up from scratch I just finished mine.

Old 02-12-2003 | 08:31 PM
|
Trailblazer

I am fifteen years old. Money is somewhat of an object but I want to make it mean. I basically want it for alittle of everything. Drag Racing, Trails, MX, and other things. I just want a bad *** bike that will beat just about anything around. I have been looking at the CT Racing 410 Stroker Kit. I would put it on alky and maybe some NOS. I just what to have a bad *** fourwheeler. I want to build it myself. I don't want to have a fortune in the frame but probally 3500.00 for rolling chassis. No handlebars or anything else. I have been looking at Lonestar Racing. That is probally where I will get my a arms and swingarm. I am going to have a custom powdercoat job done on all chassis components. I think it will look sharp. As far as time goes I will put a side at least two years to get it done. I am not going to hurry and rush it out. I want something that i can be proud of. Something that somebody can sit back and say damn I would love to have that.

Dave

Old 02-12-2003 | 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: adamsmith
. Also, you should get an oversized radiator Atv Innovations is what I have, but the GT Thunder looks good too.
Oh boy.......You gonna get Da Beechman all worked up with that comment.........Yo Beech where are you man??? late,zubbeyboy

Old 06-15-2003 | 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

Lateralus put some new pictures in your photo page man!!!

and to add on to his post, you don't need an oversized aluminum radiator, no reason too!.. my neighbor has a built 250r 3 wheeler and when he put his big bore jug on he said it stays 4-5x cooler than stock even WITH the stock radiator.. some days when he's at the hill he can't get the thing to warm up so he has to switch jet sizes depending on how cold/hot it is outside. But he's never had an overheating problem

Old 06-15-2003 | 04:24 AM
Pro Rider

you want a 410 for trails????? asking to have a drag bike that you can use in trails etc is like asking for a cadillac that you can turn off the highway and race the baja 1000 in. its either one or the other.. you can have a bike that will do a little of each and do it good but i can tell you right now that taking an R with a +6 swingarm in the woods aint gonna happen.

Old 06-15-2003 | 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

I hear NOS does good things in the woods also.... Im sure you will have long rides through the woods if its on alky too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

IMO You can run a 410 in the trails and stuff, but it would be unethical, dangerous, unreliabler (made up that word?), and not the smartest choice. Keep the swing arm around stock length for trails and MX. You don't want to throw NOS on it, that would be incredibly stupid. Same thing with alc, for what you are doing. From what you are describing it sounds like you want to make a duning bike like many other people on the forums have described, the setup you are asking for is a great duning setup, but horrible for the woods and MX. Just make it wider and put a milder engine in and you will love it.

Old 06-15-2003 | 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

knowles.. my r has the stock swingarm and a 350 powervalve motor. its an awesome duning motor.. more than enough bottom end to make it perfect for trails.. and enough top end to put some banshees to shame and give "drag" bikes a run for their money. even with teh stock 86 swingarm all you have to do is feather the clutch and the front stays down.. save your money and pass on the extended swingarm

Quick Reply: 250R Project Quad