Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Shifting Rroblems, LT500

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Rroblems, LT500

I have an 88 LT500. When I shift into second, then hit the gas, it pops into neutral...

I yanked the motor, removed the clutch cover and clutch, and slid out the gear shifting shaft (Item No. 28 in this picture). The shaft is bent... is this the likely problem, or do I have to bust the cases apart to check out the rest of the tranny?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Thespazardman, I'm thinkin that would be it, but I also wonder how it got that way. Hopefully more Zilla owners can help ya bud.
later
Superstar

Old 05-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry partner, no easy fix here...read on

Quadzilla Jumps out of gear:
Usually this will only occur in 2nd and/or 3rd gears. Unfortunately there is no simple fix. Your gears have worn dogs (The little square **** or indentations on the sides of the gears that allow them to grab the next gear on the shaft.) Transmission disassembly is not that difficult but, I would not recommend that it be undertaken by inexperienced mechanics or without the proper tools and a Genuine Suzuki shop manual.

You must replace gears as a set ie: If your bike jumps from 2nd to neutral you will have to replace both the driven (countershaft) and drive(input or clutch shaft) gears.If your bike jumps from 3rd to 2nd you will have to replace all four gears.

I would also suggest that you replace your 1st gear set when replacing your 2nd gear set these are typically damaged also and if not replaced will cause premature failure of 2nd gear and your shift forks.

You must also replace all three shift forks during this repair as they are easily damaged by gear set failures and even a slight distortion will cause premature gear set failure

Also replace the shifting drum detent arm and spring. When a gear set jumps it forces the shift drum to rotate, stressing the forks and detent arm beyond their design limits. If these parts are re-used you transmission problems will certainly persist!

If you do not feel comfortable performing this repair on your own you should at least remove all your side covers, accessories and cylinder. Remove your engine from the frame and take the bare bottom end to a qualified service facility for final disassembly.
NOTE: Always ask for your old parts back! BUYER BEWARE!

Old 05-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

i will unfortunatly have to agree with stormnorm . that is no easy fix . if you follow his reply that should take care of it .

Old 05-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

I also agree with the thought that the "dogs" are worn. Don't get too down. Your not putting money into something that will fail again soon. If you fix your tranny right, you won't have any more problems. Suzuki trannys are exceptional pieces. They are very strong and work real well. I wish the cylinder engineers (86 lt 250) were as talented as the tranny guys.