Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rolled my Vinson because of front brake use...please read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolled my Vinson because of front brake use...please read!

I have to say I am impressed with your ability to take critique. There is a learning curve for everyone and you are just at the beginning of yours since this is your first quad. No big deal, now you know of a couple maneuvers to avoid.

I wasn't knocking Polaris' breaking system, I just said I'm not a big fan. It's not for me since I like to control the amount of breaking applied to the front and rear separately. I would have to agree that to the experienced rider it can work against you to have them linked. If it didn't, race bikes would have them!

Old 06-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey....AtVgurl...Thanks for the response. You previously asked about my condition after my wreck. Really not much...a sore rib or 2...aching muscles in my arms and legs. I am thankful to God it wasn't worse. My kids also gained a healthy respct as they were eyewitnesses to old dads fall. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write. Pastor

Old 06-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Pastor
I did not intend to imply that Suzuki was completely at fault here.
Actually, Suzuki is at NO fault here. To imply any fault on a machine manufacturer for blatant operator error is insane.

my $.05

Old 06-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor,

Glad your ok and the quad as well. Lesson learned.

As far as taking the quad back to the dealership: Do that for the Safety Training Course.

Continue to get some seat time and have fun here and on your quad.

Smitty

Old 06-04-2003, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

To Alaska YFM...I didn't imply that Suzuki was at fault...what I said was is that there may be some issues with the brake system. More specifically, the fact that there is a separation between front brakes and rear brakes. On this Suzuki forum I have seen more than a few customers complaining of poor or seemingly non- exsistent rear brakes on the Vinsons. In no way was I shifting blame from my riding error to Suzuki...in fact if you have been following the threads here I tried to make that clear. I did try a polaris prior to my purchase of the Vinson and I did LIKE the brake system. I didn't like the bike...Vinson is a superior machine in my humble opinion. As I also stated, this being my first quad... I'm learning some tough lessons... but, thanks for your .05 worth...Pastor

Old 06-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Pastor, I'm glad your ok. For the rest of you riders stop beating the guy up. He admits he made a mistake, why rub it in. Pastor is your vinson a automatic or a 5 speed? I have a 5 speed. I really like it.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Pastor, Im glad to hear that you didnt get seriously injured. You have to remember that it's fun to go fast on ATV's but , try to think safety first. On a downhill turn going 20 mph standing, You have to slow it down a little when you cant see whats around the bend. I have rolled , flipped and seriously hurt myself on Atv's in the past. Thats when i was younger and crazy. Now i have a 2 1/2 year old son that i really would like to see grow up so my riding ways have toned down,so to speak. Just have Fun riding and play it safe from now on....im sure you kids will apreciate it.
ZIg

Old 06-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Ironrider...mine is an automatiic...great machine! I have recently heard that the 5 speeds are quicker. I don't know about that...this thing is already PLENTY quick for me. Thanks to all of you who have left your advice. Pastor

Old 06-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor,
Glad you're okay and so is the bike. All I can say is it take some time to get used to the brakes. There are several things which can affect the stopping ability of the brakes. You should have them checked to make sure nothing was bent or damaged during your accident.

Now here are a couple of things I have learned over my years of riding and racing ATV's. When you apply your brakes you should move your body back towards the rear of the ATV when stopping on level or down hills. When you are going uphill keep toward the front of the ATV. Now if you take a good look at the racers bikes you will notice that the brake levers are not straight out. The levers are turned down 20-30 degrees or more. By turning (rotating) your brake levers down it allows you to move from a sitting to a standing position and still have a comfortable finger grip on the levers. I also have found that to apply enough pressure on the brakes it only takes one finger, at the most two fingers. Grabbing the brakes with all your fingers will definetely cause the brakes to lock. Good luck don't give up and practice, practice, practice!!! The more you ride the more comfortable you become with your machine.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

tTaylor....Thanks for the good advice...it's sounds like advice that is usable. Pastor

Quick Reply: Rolled my Vinson because of front brake use...please read!