Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!

And the Yamaha is $1200 more than the Z400. May have a more powerful motor but $1200 can buy some nice upgrades to whoop on it. As for handling, gonna be hard to beat the Z.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

Suzuki is coming out w/ a 250 four stroke and 450 fourstroke for the dirtbikes for 04.. They will step up in a year or two w/ a 440/450 quad motor. The YFZ desn't have reverse so they will lose some sales along w/ the 1200 dollar difference in price. The Z will lose some sales, but will get it's fair share of sales also..

Old 06-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Guido39
And the Yamaha is $1200 more than the Z400. May have a more powerful motor but $1200 can buy some nice upgrades to whoop on it. As for handling, gonna be hard to beat the Z.
THere are some basic engineering that $1200 is not going to replace. The lower center of gravity, and low weight will make this thing out handle even a 400ex or a 250r. It even has wide axle and a-arms stock! And talk about a high performance engine:
-YZF motor
-39mm FCR
-11.9:1 compression

I don't see the $1,200 difference being enough to bring the Z into this level of performance. Of course, we have yet to see it in action but, the specs are telling quite a story.

MX

Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

Its great to see that Yamaha steps up and doesn't detune the life out of it. Coming stock with the low weight, high comp. piston, and FCR39mm carb, it will be a kickin bike!!....not to mention the SWEET white and red colors with red frame [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression is 11.9:1 on the new Yamaha quad, vs 12.5:1 on the dirt bikes. So they did some detuning. Same size 39 mm carb.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

It looks like it has a pull bar on the rear thats factory. who needs reverse then at 350 lbs you can tug that bia back wards no prob.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Cost doesn't matter when you upgrade the Z. What matters is what will get you to the finish line first if it's the racing quad you desire. So if you bump up the Z to a 440 and widen it out the Yamaha will have no edge. You can't bump the Yamaha up. You can port it and so will the Z rider. My Cannondale will have no edge. The edge will come in the way the power is delivered or the riders ability.. You put a total of 3-4g's in each quad and it will come down to the rider not the quad.. I'm not defending either quad, just an anology. In stock form the Yammy will be the clear winner, but when you start modding them the Yamahas edge is gone..

Old 06-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sandgod, with all respect, I am not sure that this is the case. The YFZ has some engineering that would be costly to reproduce in another quad. What Z could be taken down to 330 lbs? I just have to give Yamaha it's due to have developed this machine. This is a no compromise race machine and it took guts for Yamaha to make it happen. I just hope it signals the other manufactures to do the same.

BTW There is more room to take the YFZ to the full 450 (it's only 439 right now). Check out this article: First article They talk about things in more detail.

MX

Originally posted by: Sandgod
Cost doesn't matter when you upgrade the Z. What matters is what will get you to the finish line first if it's the racing quad you desire. So if you bump up the Z to a 440 and widen it out the Yamaha will have no edge. You can't bump the Yamaha up. You can port it and so will the Z rider. My Cannondale will have no edge. The edge will come in the way the power is delivered or the riders ability.. You put a total of 3-4g's in each quad and it will come down to the rider not the quad.. I'm not defending either quad, just an anology. In stock form the Yammy will be the clear winner, but when you start modding them the Yamahas edge is gone..

Old 06-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

I understand what your saying. It's still a 440cc limit until the rule is officially changed and if it's not, bump them both to 450's by the aftermarket. You get the point... I know the Yammy has new things not done in a quad before, but it doesn't mean when building a race quad a Z400 can't be made just as good. I'm just stating that it you have 12g's and I have 12g's and I go w/ a Z and you go w/ a Yammy I can make my quad just as good as yours and the rider will win the race not the quad.. In stock form theres no question the Z will lose. Like I said not making excuse for either machine. Want a better chance of winning on the track, buy a Yammy, cause the Z will need $$'s to compete.. The Z is a sport quad first and a racer second. The Yammy is clearly built for the track first.. I ride a Dale and I will not sweat a thing if one lines up to me on the gate modded. The better rider will win..

Old 06-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I don't see the YFZ being that far from being race-ready where as with the Z you will have to do a lot more to get it competitive. Don't get me wrong, the Z is a great bike that can be a great racer but, the YFZ, I belive, is in a different class of quads. Do you really think it would take 12K to get the Yamaha to the finish line? Isn't speculation a fun game?

BTW I do think the 'dale -vs- YFZ is a better comparison. It's just like trying to compare the 'dales to the Raptor - different bike with different intent.

MX

Quick Reply: Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!