Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!

I'm thinking for the $1200 off retail price you save, not to mention the additional discount you can get at suzuki dealers take that money and put it into:

Cams $250
FCR40 $450 complete
DRZE base gasket $20

You got well and enough to stick with that 439cc Yami. The extra weight, well it is what it is, reverse in a tranny adds more then a few pounds but I'll take the convience. You still have another $600 in your pocket for whatever you like (if we were talking retail for retail) which I don't think the deals will be that good on Yami's anytime soon. Spend it on suspension or more power.

Just my thoughts.....

Old 06-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you JeffP, you can mod the Z to make it comparable. But you can only mod it so much, eventually guys will figure out how to mod the Yammy then all Z owners are screw per say. What it will come down to is whether or not Suzuki comes out with a modable 440/450, then we're talking.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:28 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

This is so interesting.......
You know the racers are going to spend 3-4K on suspension, arms, axles, swingers, shocks, stabilizers, ect, on any machine. Stock componentes don't cut it. Look athe Cannondale guys, they even bought high dollar suspension for the big time racers. Same with dirt bike guys, and their stuff is way closer to being race ready than any quad we have ever seen.What happens when so guy puts a chromoly frame, a little tittanium and other add ons on that new Yammi? Under 300 lbs is what I think will happen.
I agree with you Sandgod, I am not giving up my quads, they would be almost as good as the new Yammy stock. I will stop modding mine and saving up and waiting. This is going to be the start of a new war of manufacturers. I don't want to get in to it in the first round. In 2 years we will be able to chose from a Yamaha 450 , Honda 450, Suzy 450, Kawi 450, Maybe even a KTM, and dont forget about GAS GAS, either. It will be like dirt bikes in a few years, pick a color!

WOW, we are in for some fun!

Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt bikers do not *replace* their suspension they tune them. ATVs on the other hand have to replace the whole deal. Yamaha is the first major factory to bring a suspension system that *could* be raced. Now if you are talking about pro-factory sponsored riders then it is a moot point. Those bikes are no where near what you would get off a showroom floor - dirt bikes or quads. I am talking about a quad that you would race in your local circuit. The YFZ is ready to handle the local series out of the door - a Z is not (except maybe sportsman class at delta <grin&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. That is the difference and that is why I a big difference between what Yamaha is offering and everyone else. Cannondale did the same thing with the speed, moto and blaze but no one else has. We will see if Honda steps up to the plate.

I understand why you guys are thinking this way - you have had to as this is normal procedure in atvs. I hope that this is a trend that will follow the dirt bike world. I can go buy an 03 YZ 250, change the bars and tune the suspension and I have a race-ready unit. I see this Yamaha as a big step towards that scenario for atvs.

MX

Old 06-06-2003, 01:08 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Its all specualtion anyway.
But to "fine tune" a suspension costs some serious coin, weather it is on a dirt bike or a atv. Rebuilds are almost as much as a new shock. Plus dirt bikers dont have to deal with width.
You know as well as I do that you put Dave Lindsey or Mark Murdoch on a stock Z they would smoke you or me on a z450 ( and those guys are just locals, Imagine Tim Farr, he could beat us on a stock Blaster). Its all about ruider anyway.

Old 06-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I sent in my suspension to MX tech and it cost $600. You are right about width issues.

Who is Mark Murdoch? J/K [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I am convinced that *anyone* could smoke me on a track if I were on a quad. I just can't get comfortable with it. That's why I have my YZ. At the dunes or on the trails however...rooost 'em

'specially those wimpy 'dale riders [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

MX

Old 06-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Just so you know, I am still going to buy a Z even though the Yami is coming. Now is the perfect time to get on board w/ another Z as they have worked out most of the bugs. I think I will go green this time though. Once I get it 'just right' I'll be ready to try my luck with some of the 'dales and Raptors at lil' sahara...

BTW It looks like Marc Murdock is on a Z (kawazuki Z that is).

MX

Old 06-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Drop some cams in that KFX also. My brother's Z was dead even with me in a second gear roll on through the gears on pavement. Lost all his low end and my Dale will pound it in that area. Dave Lindsay is having a KFX440 built to beat Murdock. It will be done a month or so or less.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

My motor plan is to do the following based on my previous Z experience:

-Ti4 exaust
-K&N
-40 FCR
-Hotcams

I am thinking that with these mods, I will be at plenty of HP for me to have fun out on the trail and at the dunes.

I am still thinking about what suspenders to put on it...

MX

Old 06-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it seems to me that Suzuki should have enough R&D thru the racers this year (and past few years with the DR-Z in GNCC and WORCS) to make a Z450 version by '05 at the latest. What Suzuki ought to do is keep the Z400 how it is, and make a Z450R version for the racers. They would save money by utilizing a common frame, basic engine architecture, running gear, etc. Just put higher spec shocks, brakes, tires, and of course, 50cc more and an FCR. It would definitely be competitive with the YFZ450 in the marketplace, if not on the track. They might want to do something about the 25-45lb weight advantage of the YFZ, and perhaps offer a kickstart option since the DR-Z version has one. Most of the engineering is done, same with the harsh testing of components.

The real question is, does Suzuki really wish to explore this route in the market? I personally bet that they are seriously considering it. The japanese makes are a proud lot.

Quick Reply: Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!