Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!

I wonder if the DR-Z kickstart kit would work on the Z400? Is it a frame problem?

MX

Old 06-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I totally agree with AlaskaYFM.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Range Rover

Poor Honda[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The 400ex is Honda's flagship. Yamaha has a complete fleet of battleships(Banshee-king of the sand and dragstrip, Raptor-the king of all purpose sport quads and now the yzf450 to rip up the tracks) At this point who cares about a 450ex or 650ex? It must be depressing to be a Honda fan? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

A LOT of people will care about a CRF 450-based quad. It will outsell any other sport quad period.

Honda just has a good rep and everybody knows it.

MX

Old 06-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

You know that used to be my attitude on quads, motoxpress, but the last few years I've pretty much shelved the brand loyalty I had for Honda. Where have THEY been, what have THEY done for the sport lately, and where is THEIR response to customer demand?!?!? It's just not there; and while the other manufacturers aren't that much better in that regard-- they sure beat Honda for market feedback and response.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, I'm with ya brother. I applaud what Yamaha is doing and once again they are proving that they have the guts to go out on a limb (The YZ400 is really the what pushed the high performance 4 strokes trend). I have owned Yamaha 4 strokes (YZ 250F) and I really like them but, they do tend to be on the bleeding edge more than Honda.

My point is that WHEN Honda does FINALLY hit the streets with their 450 people will buy it because when they actually do something, they usually do it well.

MX

Old 06-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: motoxpress
My point is that WHEN Honda does FINALLY hit the streets with their 450 people will buy it because when they actually do something, they usually do it well.
That is very true

Old 06-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with ridley to a point. The racers will buy the z less but the general public and the overall customer are not racers. Some of these will go with the yami but I think suzuki will still do fine especially now that their in there second year model on the z. The z will just be a better everyday home use trail quad. I'm still loving the new yami though and if it doesn't have major problems I'm getting one probably late late this year or early next but I ain't getting rid of my z400 for nothing.

Old 06-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

On that note it is also true for MX bikes that not only racers buy them, but also rec riders that just want the fastest/newest/best that's available. Just look at the crotch rocket market-- how many of those guys see track days??? Not very many. I think that the YFZ will be a phenominal market success, even better than the Raptor. For sure better than the 400EX. It plays off the egos... and we know how competitive us guys can get... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2003, 11:54 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because something is marketed as an "MX" or race bike, doesn't mean it will not sell to the general public. I do lots of desert rides with large groups of dirt bikers, and most of the kids are on YZ's, CR's, etc. Older, bigger guys are tending to line up behind the 4-strokes, which are bigger, heavier bikes. Lots of these are MX bikes though (the 2003 CRF is THE BIKE TO HAVE!). These are "motocross" bikes, but 98% of them will never get raced on an MX track (but lots will get desert raced!). Riders just want that quick handling, even for cross country.

My point is, I think the Yamaha will have mass appeal, at least with experienced riders and enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Suzuki Needs to Upgrade the Z400 Engine!!!