Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KQ front diff problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ front diff problems

Has anyone had a problem with their KQ dropping in and out of 4wd once it has been selected. When it is in 4wd and running unloaded on level ground there is a 'clunk' and 'shudder' ever 100yards or so and it feels as though the dogs on the drive train are disegageing and then re-engageing. The cables seem properly adjusted and the selector lever on the diff housing seems to be indexing correctly on the selector drum. The problem isn't noticeable if diff lock is selected.
I have larger profile front tyres and was wondering whether it may be wind-up in the drive train, due to difference in diameter of the front and back wheels. I will test this by swaping front wheels with a friend who has standard tyres. I do recall hearing of problems with 4wd disengagement when going down steep slopes when the drive is coming back from the ground rather than from the motor, but not under flat ground running without load. Has anyone got any ideas.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I haven't had nor heard of such problems. Have driven down plenty of steep slopes too. Seems like the larger front tires may at least be a contributing factor and probably the sole reason for this problem. If you don't maintain the same ratio as the oem tire sizes front to rear, then you know something has to give, right?

John

Old 07-02-2003, 04:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi John,
I fitted Excavators to the rear and was very happy with them. I then fitted them to the front however, the manufacturer hadn't maintained the same profile ratio as the OEM Dunlops and consequently the fronts are a larger diameter. Down Under most quads are used on farms and my KQ which I purchased new in '93 is the only new quad sold by the dealer for recreational use since then. Consequently, there is very little after market equipment sold here so there is very little choice. I will do the swap on the front tyres in the next few days with my friend and let you know how it goes. Incidently, a new Vinson in Oz retails for about US$6,000 , a 700 Polaris is about US$7,000 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Ross