Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

my Z VS yfz450

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Z VS yfz450

Drag raced a yfz450 this weekend on the dunes.
Almost side by side every time, depended on who got the better hole shot.
Im going to be in trouble when they get mods.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

I find that hard to beleive. I'm not saying you're lying but maybe he was just breaking it in or something. I mean he knew you were racing didn't he. Hard to beleive a 40hp or more engine gets beat by a z with a little above 30hp with the pipe in the sand. Don't think he was a very good rider or wasn't trying or something. If so then everything about the yfz I've heard is a lie. A yfz is supposed to be as fast as a 450z. I just don't really beleive he was racing or he couldn't ride at all.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

I dont know if he was still breaking it in.
My z is a good runner, I can hang with piped raptors all day.
I was just trying to say they are going to be very tough to beat when they get mods.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Range Rover
Default my Z VS yfz450

HE IS TELLING THE TRUTH I WAS THERE AND WITNESED IT. PLUS I SPENT A GOOD HOUR WITH THE GUY THAT OWNED THE 450 AND HE WASNT BREAKING IT IN HE WAS RUNNING THE PI$$ OUT OF IT. AND YA IT SHOULD BE DANGEROUS WITH SOME MODS

Old 07-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

Oh well, pretty impressive for the z.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

I’ve been checking these posts pretty closely. Seams that a completely stock YFZ is not much faster then a Z. Yamaha probably did this to allow the Raptor to be there fastest quad when stock. The YFZ won’t fully kick the Z’s tail till you uncork its intake/exhaust and rejet, then there will be a huge difference.
So don’t get too excited when you here how a Z hangs with it, with equal mods the difference will be substantial.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

MEGA, you are totally correct, but it's not that Yamaha did that to keep it away from the Raptor. They (Yamaha) say that they are two different machines, the Raptor is a sport quad, while the YFZ is a race quad. The silencer is on there to keep it in spec for noise regulations. Put one of their pipes on it, or an aftermarket pipe, open up the airbox and jet it, and it's a beast. The air is restricted from factory because of the stock silencer. That is the best it can be for that silencer. All about the government!!!

Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

Originally posted by: MegaCrash
I’ve been checking these posts pretty closely. Seams that a completely stock YFZ is not much faster then a Z. Yamaha probably did this to allow the Raptor to be there fastest quad when stock. The YFZ won’t fully kick the Z’s tail till you uncork its intake/exhaust and rejet, then there will be a huge difference.
So don’t get too excited when you here how a Z hangs with it, with equal mods the difference will be substantial.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Oh, I wasn't too excited because I still don't think a stock z will run even with the yfz in a drag. It might have been kinda close but not even. Trust me I've heard what the yfz will do when hopped up and I beleive it.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:13 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

He is probably right, I rode on in a parking lot next to a stock z and it was not a beat down, the z lost, but it was close enough that I could see the rider making it up. I also rode a Yosh built z450 next to the yfz, no that was not a race, the Suzi beat it good. The Yammy is great, I am not saying its not fast, its just not twice as fast as anything else. I can' twait to see a hopped up one. That will be fun.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default my Z VS yfz450

Originally posted by: MegaCrash
I’ve been checking these posts pretty closely. Seams that a completely stock YFZ is not much faster then a Z.

Faster THAN. Not faster THEN. THEN is a reference to time. THAN is a reference between objects. Jeez. I buy you books and I buy you books and all you do is chew on the torque wrench.

Quick Reply: my Z VS yfz450