Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

WHO MAKES THE BEST POWER KIT FOR THE ZILLA

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHO MAKES THE BEST POWER KIT FOR THE ZILLA

I HAVE 2 500S AND I JUST FINISHED ON WITH ALL PAUL TURNER AFTERMARKET PARTS. I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER COMPANY TO USE FOR THE NEXT COMPLETE REBUILD. I WAS THINKING TRINITY BECAUSE I KNOW THEY HAVE GREAT PARTS FOR THE BANSHEE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE DUNCAN RACING ONE SOME OF IT IS ON EVERYTHING2STROKE.COM. THE REST OF THE PICS SHOULD BE ONE THIS WEEKEND. ANY IDEAS ON WHO TO USE?

1987 LT500 STOCK (READY FOR REBUILD)
1988 LT500 NEW CYLINDER,POWER HEAD,CASE SLEEVES ON CRANK(DO NOT USE TUDORS PERFORMANCE FOR THIS THEY PUT A WHOLE IN MY CASE),PYRAMID REEDS,39MM CARB,CHROME PTR PIPE, FATBOY2 SILENCER,K@N AIR FILTER WITH DUNCAN RACING ADAPTER,DOUGLAS RED LABEL,HOLE SHOTS ON FRONT,REALTORS ON REAR,WORKS SHOCK ALL AROUND AND OUTERWEARS, WITH LOTS OF POLISH EVERY WHERE.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Hi dan,

I've recently had LRD do some machine work for me... not a complete rebuild, but some bore work, case inserts, etc... They did a really good job, but I thought their prices were pretty steep too. Turn around time was excellent, and the quality of work was good.

I've been burned really bad by Harry McDermott (Trinity Racing) and wouln't let them work on my son's tricycle! But that's just me....

I know of another really great machinist in the midwest that is a great hand with head mods, case mods, etc.... but he's not a builder.

I really shy away from using the 'puppy' shops for rebuilds, as I've had more bad luck than good (I see Tudors didn't treat you very good either).. I'm getting to the point that I can do my own building, and just send out the parts for machine work.

Hmm, just saw your in NH... I was out there just last week.. Even drove thru Milford on my way to Hampton Beach (I've got a cabin in Vermont)... Sure was beautiful!

Regards,

Old 08-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Firs off, find an older LRD pipe if at all possiable, second, give this place a call, they are the $hit with the Zillas, know them inside and out.

http://www.macracinginc.com/index.htm

Old 08-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

just curious to know how you like the paul turner goodies youve put on the zilla, i was mooching around the duncan racing site last night and quite fancy a kit for my zilla myself,

did it not live upto expectations??

i notice duncan offer 2 different types wich did you go for??

Old 08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I PURCHASED THE NATIONAL KIT AND LOVE IT. SOME OF THE DIRECTIONS ARE A LITTLE CONFUSING BUT THE THING IS FASTER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVERY RODE AND I AM STILL BREAKING IT IN. IT LIVED UP TO EXPECTATIONS BUT I AM JUST LOOKING FOR SOMEONE DIFFERENT TO GET PARTS FROM. NOTHING AGAINST DUNCAN AT ALL THEY HAVE GREAT PRODUCTS. I JUST DONT WANT TWO THAT ARE THE SAME. THIS ONE I WILL ALSO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF JUST POLISHING EVERYTHING NEXT TIME ITS ALL CHROME. THERE IS SOME VIDEO OF THE ONE THAT IS FINISHED ON EVERYTHING2STROKE.COM IN THE HELMET CAM SECTION. STAY TUNED FOR THIS WEEKENDS TRIP UP TO MAINE WITH SOUND THIS TIME.

1988 LT500 NEW CYLINDER,POWER HEAD,CASE SLEEVES ON CRANK(DO NOT USE TUDORS PERFORMANCE FOR THIS THEY PUT A WHOLE IN MY CASE),PYRAMID REEDS,39MM CARB,CHROME PTR PIPE, FATBOY2 SILENCER,K@N AIR FILTER WITH DUNCAN RACING ADAPTER,DOUGLAS RED LABEL,HOLE SHOTS ON FRONT,REALTORS ON REAR,WORKS SHOCK ALL AROUND AND OUTERWEARS, WITH LOTS OF POLISH EVERY WHERE.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

HEY DAN TAKE OFF THAT GO**AMN CAP LOCK IT GIVES EVERYONE A HEADACHE.

Just my humble 2 cents worth.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

[b]I have a 1990 Zilla with V-Force Reeds, 39mm Pwk, StageIV head, and the FMF Gold Series pipe that came with it . I was looking at the Paul Turner pipe and was wondering what difference I would see. Is the difference worth $450?I notice while I am racing, it tops out quick and has no pull after 4 seconds in 5th gear. Would the Paul Turner pipe fix this?

Old 08-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was just wondering what did Trinity do wrong because I was thinking about sending my cases to them to have the main bearing seats fixed?

Old 08-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a stock pipe and it made a big power difference but there is more power in the midrange than top end. I also have not done any porting to the cylinder it is stock. I have heard that gives you more topend. I have never dealt with Trinity I was actually thinking of using them for my next rebuild but I have not heard much on what kind of job they would do on the zilla. I would definitly advise against using TUDORS PERFORMANCE THEY ARE CROOKS. They told me they could machine and sleeve the main bearings and they would have it done in two weeks once they got it. First off it took 2 months and I had to harass them to get it back. Then when I recieved the case it had a whole in it on one of the chain guard holes. I told them about this and they told me to pound sand they did not do it. I was able to have a local shop weld it B@J's welding and they did a great job. Now I need to find some one to fix the main bearings on the other motor I am just not sure where to have it done. Any one that knows a great machine shop PLEASE HELP ME.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Stovepipe
[b]I have a 1990 Zilla with V-Force Reeds, 39mm Pwk, StageIV head, and the FMF Gold Series pipe that came with it . I was looking at the Paul Turner pipe and was wondering what difference I would see. Is the difference worth $450?I notice while I am racing, it tops out quick and has no pull after 4 seconds in 5th gear. Would the Paul Turner pipe fix this?

Basically, all 500 pipes are the same, FMF, CT, Paul T, ect, with the power ephasis being in the low-mid range. All of these pipes will fall off on the big end. The only top end pipes offered for the Zilla are the out-frame drag pipes and considering you can find one, an LRD. I myslef run the LRD and swear by it. Trinity has a "top end" pipe, but I have seen it dynoed right beside a LRD and it was 7hp shy of the LRD on the big end. Suposedly, Tudors is developing a LRD copy that is suppose to duplicate the LRDs overrev. But I am still waiting to see how it dynos. I dont believe any claims till i see a dyno sheet on them. As far as seeing a difference between the FMF and the PT, I wouldnt waste my money, when the $450 could be spent on some porting that would give u more of the top end u want.

Quick Reply: WHO MAKES THE BEST POWER KIT FOR THE ZILLA