Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 belt slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2000, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an LT80 for my kids and I've noticed when the bike is under alot of load for a while such as when hill climbing in the dunes the belt is slipping or somehow the engine is starting to rev a bit and the wheels arent turning. I am just assuming that the belt is slipping. I've looked at the belt through the inspection hole and it looks fine. I havent torn the front clutch off yet will lack of lube there cause any such symptoms as this? Also this bike lacks hill climb power for my boys will a pipe make a very substantial difference? Thanks

Old 05-22-2000, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

You would probably have to replace the belt. I have had snow mobiles for years and the same thing has happened to them to. It is a simple problem. And also, a new after market pipe would probably be a good idea for more power. There are pipes made for this kind of bike to. Your in luck.

Old 05-23-2000, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

For the kids sake, don't make it faster! It's an 80 for one reason-- the kids are too small and may get injured if it were more powerful. Good you're startin' 'em off early so they know how to ride when it's time to get a quad they really want to challange. They'll know what to expect. And they're watchin' you, so , you (and me) make sure you're doin' the right thing and they will alway look up to you for the encouragement.

Old 05-23-2000, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Actually faster isnt the concern it's hill climb power. Anyhow my boys have moved up from KTM 50cc Pro SR Motocross bikes and are well prepared for a bit more pep. They often complain that the LT isnt fast enough compared to the bikes... a little familiar aint it.... I dont want the LT too fast tho as the suspension isnt really all that great at least not compared to the bikes. Imagine a kids quad with about 8 inches of wheel travel...geeze that'd be nice. I've heard of a clutch roller mod and wonder if that would help the hill climbing any... Any ideas?

Old 05-23-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man! That's great. You've got your kids performing already. You must spend a lot of time with them and for that you're to be commended. I will try to limit any other post to the specifics if I can help. But I don't know anything about motocross racing or quad racing for that matter. Only what I see in the forum. I'm sure there's individuals out there looking at your post and will have valuable information. Good luck. And keep up the good work.
Chuck,suzuki 300,GPS & lunch...