Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

zilla sleeve and piston info

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zilla sleeve and piston info

where is a good place to get a cyl re sleeved and is this as good as a new cyl? mine is ported and bored .120 over but i hate wiesco pistons(forged pistons) and want to go back to stock suzuki piston (cast piston) , does anyone know if there is a company that makes cast pistons for a zilla other that suzuki and how much bigger than stock they go?

Old 09-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

A resleeved cylinder is not as good as a new one. Does it work? Yes, but not as good. An LT sleeve is cast into the cylinder. This means you can't just slide it out and slide in a new one. That would be as good as new. On an LT (and many others) you have to bore out the existing sleeve to fit the new one. What you end up with is a sleeve in a sleeve (cast iron no less). This is bad for heat transfer. Quads already run too hot. Plus when the machinist bores it, there will be small tool marks like a record. Between this finish and the outer finish of a sleeve there leaves a small amount of air gap between the two sleeves. More bad heat transfer.

I agree with you on forged pistons. Pro-X pistons are cast but I don't know if they go that big. Plus I personally have had some failures with them in a Banshee. Other guys love them. I wish I could tell you the best way to go but there isn't a clear path. Just ask you concerns and weigh out the answers. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info, i was not aware the sleve was cast into the cyl. and im a machineest so i understand what you are saying about the small grooves between the new and old sleeve and the heat build up. as for pro x pistons i cant find them for a zilla even in stock size can anyone help?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Since you are a machinist maybe consider an aluminum sleeve. That's what I did. That way you can bore out all of the cast iron and put in a thick aluminum sleeve. You will get a ton better heat transfer. You will have to make the sleeve though. No one made them long enough for the LT when I did mine. I used 356 cast and had Millenium Technologies Nicasil it.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

That's great that you don't sleeve in sleeve. Do you use aluminum sleeves? I would hate to think you would put in a .2 thick wall iron sleeve in something. That would be a huge heat transfer problem. If you make aluminum sleeves I would be interested in your services for future projects.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not aware that the whole sleeve is that thick. I thought that only the ribs that the aluminum is cast around are that thick. Even if the stock is that thick, it don't make it right. A sleeve that thick is a real bad idea.