Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

230 model question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 230 model question

Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the '87 LT230-EH, the '88 LT230-EJ, and the '89 LT230-EK? My main concern is, how interchangeable are the parts? Are there any other years/models that are similar?

My problem is that I bought someone's 'project' 230, it was 80% finished and just needed some minor work and some missing parts bought and put on. We were told that this was an '88 230 EJ Quadrunner, but it appears they used some QuadSport parts on it as well, and it seems everytime I buy (eBay) an '88 230E part, it ends up not fitting.

This bike has an electric start and a pull start, reverse, automatic clutch, the frame was black, the plastics were Winning Orange with the front center fender and seat being Champion Blue. If anyone wants to venture a guess as to what I have, knock yourself out. It seems like I looked the frame over and if I found a model number, it wasn't easily readable.

Any advice/help would be appreciated, thanks!

Karen

Old 10-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I used to own an 87 LT230EH. They were basically Quadsports with an auto tranny and a rear rack. As far as I know, they never made any major changes to them. All model years were just about the same except for color. The description sounds just like my 87 except for the seat and front nose plastic. They were both black on the 87 if I remember correctly. I believe there's a Clymer manual for those models - you could probably find out the differences in one of those.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

You can go to www.bikebandit.com and look up the various models and check part numbers for differences. BB has the actual Suzuki part numbers. A simular site is www.ronnies.com. They also have OEM parts and lookups.

Never purchased from them so I can't comment on anything. It is a great reference tool.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

What parts did you buy that didn't fit? They made frame changes after 86. They made slight changes between 88-93.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

if they are anything like the lt500. the last letter is the year. most parts are interchangeable. hope that helps
aaron

Old 10-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had bought motor mounting bolts (bottom, to mount motor to frame) for an '87 230, and the spacers were wrong. The left footpeg I acquired when I purchased the project (the guy threw in a couple of buckets of parts) isn't working, but I found a picture online of an '86 Quadsport peg that is what I need, and there's a pic of the motor mount bolt/spacers that look like they'll work too. But from looking at a picture of an '87 left footpeg, I can tell it won't work. The rear brake foot pedal we had wouldn't work; looking at BikeBandit, the pedal we had was off of an '87 230 G(H). But I bought one off eBay that, according to BikeBandit, is off of an '87 E(H), worked fine. What I'm needing now is a brake cable for the rear brake (to the left handlebar brake lever), but one I found on eBay for what they say is for "85-87 230 Quadsport", but it doesn't look like it'll work, the wire that extends from the t-bar that fits into the handlebar lever isn't long enough.

Do I sound confused? I am! I guess I'm going to load it on a trailer and take it to the nearest Suzuki dealer, and torture their parts guy, and pay dealer prices for the few things I need. It's better than buying stuff off eBay, waiting a week to get it, only to have it not work.

I appreciate all of you, your opinions and advice!

Karen

Old 10-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Foot pegs shouldn't be interchangable between Quadrunners, and Quadsports. The Quadsport has a skinnier motor due to the manual clutch, and no pull start. Probably a silly question, does your bike has a shaft? Does the front motor mount mount to the frame with a plate, or with a bolt through a bushing welded to the frame?

Old 10-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have found myself in a predicament similar to yours. Does your bike have rear suspension? You described my bike perfectly. Mine does not have rear suspension. I am thouroughly confused as to what I have. If I figure out what mine is I'll let you know.

chellejeff

Old 10-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

If the bike doesn't have rear suspension then it is a lt230ge(I'm almost positive), or commonly called a 230 shaft. Very few parts are interchangable from the Quadrunners lt230e* and the Quadrunners lt230g* The only parts that are the same is motor, and not all is the same due to shaft drive.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for trying to help me identify it, but it's not a shaft drive. It has a chain.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

chellejeff

Quick Reply: 230 model question