Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1st Thing to do on a Z400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Thing to do an a Z400?

Greetings.

Just bought the wife a 400 and was wondering if I could get a quick down and dirty on things that are good to tweak right off the bat. i.e. I keep reading about pulling the baffle off the snorkel and/or pulling the airbox lid. I have no experience with this particular engine and it's got a bunch of stuff hanging off it that is much different than my YZ426 had.

I don't see the quad getting a pipe for the real near future so anything you could suggest in regard to a stock version would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

Old 10-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Range Rover
Default 1st Thing to do on a Z400?

do a search on "power for pennies" that should sum up what you are looking for. if you have any other questions just post.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the direction.

Not sure I want to hack up the stock muffler or airbox yet but I may try running it with and without the baffle to check the diference.

I do have a question about the fuel screw though. On my bike the fuel screw got richer when you backed it out (opposite of a 2-stroke AIR screw). Is this carb the same?

Thanks much

Old 10-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Rich807

I do have a question about the fuel screw though. On my bike the fuel screw got richer when you backed it out (opposite of a 2-stroke AIR screw). Is this carb the same?

Thanks much
That is correct, although you shouldn't have to mess with that in this case.
I would reccomend a better filter, and proper jetting if you do get the filter.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

Well, we took it to some dunes for the first time and I have some mixed feelings so far. The 1st couple of runs I was really disappointed in the gearing, torque, and climbing ability. On the plus side I yanked the baffle off the snorkel and it seemed to help a little with staying on the pipe while climbing and it seemed like every run we did throughout the weekend either the quad was starting to run stronger (or we were getting used to what it had to offer).

After a weekend of duneing I walked away with the following impressions:

Great handling/ergonomics
Great starting hot or cold
The gearing is off considerably (falls off the pipe too soon because of it)
Reverse ratio is crazy (nobody needs to go that fast in reverse)
Front brake is great, rear is iffy (so far anyway)
The engine feels like it is significantly de-tuned (crying out for a pipe)

Guess I was expecting more of a fire breathing dragon based on all the hype/rave reviews. I'm going to immediately swap the countershaft sprocket for a 13 tooth and see how that helps the pulling power. I really didn't want to buy a pipe for a while but I'm reconsidering that after this weekend. I'm still happy we bought it and I think it'll be nice when we're through tweaking things but it wasn't scarey out-of-the-box by any means.

Old 10-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer

If you bought it brand new like I did, you'll probably go throught the same impressions that I did. It seemed that it ran stronger and stronger throughout the first month. Breaking in the engine I guess. After that, I put on a new filter kit, and slip on exhaust and it's running awesome now. Let me know how the new front sproket works out for you. And any other small things you do. I can't really pull of the airbox lid, too much mud riding in Ohio for that!

Old 10-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hm, you got the same impression I had....lol.

Yes the quad did get stronger as it broke in, and I'd advise you to check your plug gap and put it between.30 and .35... That will help alot, I found mine at .20...

Yes the reverse is crazy, but if you rode the 230 QS you will know where they got it.

Advice get a 13t front AND 41t rear. That combom really sets it up.

You are right in that it is detuned. put a better intake and exhaust on, and its nice. Add a bigger carb and its better(and you have the power to go bace to stock gearing. I put in the cams and 440 kit after that, and I'm really rippen.

Start with a better filter, and take the lid off. Then add an exhaust anhd you will have the power you wanted.

Old 10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought a new z 400 for my wife on friday. Good choice I think.

As for the carb question they are different. on a 2-stroke engine the AIR SCREW adj. air to the fuel flow supplied by the jetting. Screwing this one in will richen the mixture.
On a 4-stroke the same screw,FUEL SCREW, adj. the fuel to the air. Screwing this one in will lean out the mixture.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

HELLO!!i would strongly recommend skid plates.absolutely.you absolutely must have at least a swing arm skid(i highly recommend the prm)
the stocker will bend and you will loose your brake rotor.next i would get the belly skid.and if you ride primarily in the desert,then disregard thist post.and i just realized something...do you already have skids??if you do then i am an a$$ for not asking first...DOH

Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear about the breaking in of the engine and it freeing up as it goes. I will also check the plug gap now that you guys mentioned it.

Picked up a 13t sproket from a dealer in town. The parts dude said that was the #1 thing he sold in regard to these 400s. I just rode up the street and back with it so that's not much of a test, will have to wait until this weekend or next to get it in the dirt and see how it feels.

Also got my new ITP paddles from Rocky today and a 6 pack rack that doesn't fit. Apparently I'm the guinnea pig with these 04s. Called Rocky Mountain and told them the rack wasn't even close to being able to work in which they told me to call Armadillo (they obviously thought I was a dummy and just couldn't figure out how it went on). SO, I call Armadillo and they say it should fit........that's about the time I inform them that Suzuki totally redesigned the subframe, grab handle, tail light mounts, and fender braces. The guy still didn't believe me so he walked out to the shop to stand next to their 03 Z400 while I was on the phone and we then discussed the differences. I guess these vendors can't log on to Suzuki.com and read about changes that would effect their product. Anyway, head's up to any of you guys that know folks with 04s as far as ordering racks and stuff for the rear end of these quads; they're diferent now.

I plan on picking up a Dynojet kit tomorrow (I live about 5 minutes from their HQ, Nice!). What I'm trying to decide is whether to run with the lid off or on while I still have the stock pipe on. Any experience from you guys is appreciated (keep in mind though I will not use a K&N type filter).

I'm starting to shop for a pipe and was looking for slip ons. Suggestions/experiences there are appreciated as well.

Thanks much guys, this thread has been very helpful to me so far.

Rich