Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'Zilla Chain Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Zilla Chain Adjustment

1.25' is the proper slack....good luck getting the right slack and keeping the axle aligned at the same time. The 'adjuster' bolts might as well not even be there for as well as they work. The different size bolts/nuts in the swingarm are a very nice 'touch'[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] all this makes good chain adjustment take the longest time of any bike I ever worked on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
When you are done check the chains alignment with the rear sprocket. It should run right down the center of the sprocket when spinning the wheels. The sprockets teeth should be centered in the chains links.

Duneaddict, I was told Suzuki subbed out chain tensioning system design to a Tokyo bicycle shop and got the chain tensioning system designed there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Glad to know I am not the only one having trouble with this "advanced" chain tensioning system. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I also use a Krause Quadra-Max Gold and it seems to hold up the best of any chain I have tried, so it needs the least amount of adjustment, thank God. Krause has a new chain out, the Quadra-Max Ti-Series. Is this the one you saw snap?

Old 12-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

allcool: The chain I saw snap was a stainless from sidewinder.... It certainly isn't as hefty as a quadramax so I would say it wasn't their new one... It may have been a Krause unit per what I learned above...

What shocked me was the chain tensioner design for the new Z400 'appears' to be identical... Is it really??? or is it better?
The old LT250's had it right (Very similar to the hondas design)... SOmetime Engineers intelligence is overcome by economic decisions made by bean counters that make absolutely no sense... othertimes, common sense escapes them!

Old 12-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

The old LT250's had it right (Very similar to the hondas design).
Duneaddict, this is what gets me. How can Suzuki design a great system as you mention and then $hit out the lt500 system. You say the Z400 is the same...I just don't get it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
The cost of a round elliptical adjustment system (like on the old lt250 or Honda’s) compared to the square POS on the LT500, can't be much different in costs.
Don't you think Honda has just as many bean counters as Suzuki (maybe more!).

Old 12-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

I have to correct myself on the stainlessness of my chain. Its the Quadramax Ti- series, nickel plated.
I put out over $300 on the Ti-moly setup. I wanted a chain that would never break and take out my
cases. The guy at sidewinder claims I will never wear it out. I just went on their website, its the master link
that is exclusive to the chain. Sorry for any misinformation.

And wadda you mean soft sprockets? The ti-moly has higher tinsle strength and hardness than steel.

Addict,
How hard are you launching your Zilla on those second and third gear starts?? Hold it open and dump it ??
over labor day weekend I was draggin a Raptor up a sand hill. I was having a hard time figuring out how
to launch it. Blackwater tires, Im sure paddles would help. He would get me off the line but I would pass
him half way up, just couldnt get the holeshot. I had to adjust my chain after that weekend. Which quadramax
chain do you use, SX or gold, and choice of chain lube? Sidewinder recommends their lube but its messy.

thanks for the info

Old 12-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Freak: Yep! Pretty much pin the throttle, and let the clutch fly! Best be hangin' on though!!

I'm running the Qmax gold... Very very happy with it's performance! I see no need to spend the extra $$ for the fancy one, but they do look nice! (Not that you can tell what my chain looks like when I'm 4 bike lengths ahead of you) Lol!

I hope the Ti-moly sprockets don't wear out like the old alum sidewinders did... I went thru a rear sprocket every month... I've never given them a second chance... I only run steel.

What kind of sand was it? Paddles work best in the dry sugary stuff... Other tires do well in the wet stuff... A rappy shouldn't get any holeshot on you... but too many variables on that one..

regards,

Old 12-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Duneaddict, I agree with you on the better be hangin' on part.

Freak, I also pin it ,drop the clutch hanging over the bars in second gear WOT and then transfer my weight to the back of the seat for traction as soon as possible shifting with NO clutch just a slight let up on the throttle to let it slid in nice. This hole-shot method gave me every holeshot of the season ...a few years back, against heavily modified banshees and all others.
After all this beating.... tranny, clutch and motor internals are still stock, which amazes me after 15 years and 2 seasons of flat tracking. Talk about bullet proof reliability and how strong the 88 lt 500 are...man! I believe in maintenance and keeping it in perfect tune though. I am not into riding a machine that is not running perfect or without fresh gear oil and a clean oiled air filter and lubed adjusted chain, etc, etc, just to go "riding", It pays to be **** about maintenance [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Freak, you got to go show that rappy that hole shots are one of the best things an lt500 does. You do need the right tires for your conditions. I flat tracked on clay and ran Hoosiers T-10 compound, and never looked back to see banshees getting smashed into the wall in first turn pile ups behind me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Yup, that’s the right place for pile ups... behind me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, the dry sugary stuff. About 4 miles of forest trails getting to the hill, mostly sandy and whooped out.
There is some hardpack along the way. I'd like some paddles, but dont want to tear them up. I have been
lookin at the sand stars, what would be good on the Zilla? Them blackwaters do good in wet suck on dry.

That puss on the rappy wouldnt race me on a gravel road. I really wanted to see just how bad I'd smoke him.
When I launched in second it spun the tires till third. I diddnt hold it open launching in third, next time Ill try. just
couldnt get it to bite on sand from a dead dig. Every time I was first one to the top of the hill.

thanks for the tips next time I'm getting the holeshot!

Addict,
checkout Sidewinders web site for the low down on ti-moly, sounds impressive. After 30 hrs. run time on the R
it shows no wear or stretch. looks good too.. Is it BS about their chain lube or what? $12.00 per can seems
high. I got a big can of bel-ray stuff I think, $6.00. It dries on the chain (white) and doesnt sling everywhere,
and lasts a few rides too.

Freak

Old 12-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

I think thier chain lube is overrated... It gets hot and slings off just like the others.. and sand sticks to it BAD!

Don't have a good solution for lube.. I just buy the cheap stuff and clean my bike alot.

Regards,