Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

age limits

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default age limits

What are the laws and punishments for underage riding on atvs. I thought that there was a new law that came out this past year or so that change the laws for the worst.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Range Rover
Default age limits

GTFZ250 i am 15 and i live in New York. The laws here may be different from where you live. Up here if you are under sixteen it is legal to ride your own quad as long as you are with someone who is over the age of sixteen. However if you don't ride with someone over the age of sixteen they (police, DEC) will give you a ticket and you have to leave your quad with them and go back and get it with a trailer or have someone else get it for you.The punishment is usually a ticket for about 100 bucks.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default age limits

around Connecicut your supposed to register quads but the state gives no land to ride on so nobody cares we usually just ride on the road or property we're not supposed to be on and when they cops stop us they are the only ones stopping. if they try to grab you your foot to their chest is a mighty fine idea its worked for me. the DEP is a lot worse than the local po po around here but they're all A-holes. you people from around the rest of the country dont know how bad CT has it. If my friend and neigbor didnt have 500 acres of farm land id be royally F'ed

Old 01-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default age limits

Oh. Don't get me started!

You will find that any age limit laws are strictly at the local, privately owned riding areas or state levels. The most common "laws" that most ATVers run into are the age recommendations listed on the quads safety stickers (age 6-12 under 70cc, 12-16 under 90cc). These are simply recommendations that came about from the now expired CPSC ruling from the 80's. Even when in effect, this 'rule' was only directed at the sale of ATV's, it did not mandate the legality of their use - although many localities that did choose to make age rules did use the CPSC guidelines as a basis for their own age/cc limits. The best thing to do is to just check with whoever controls the area that you wish to ride in.

While safety is certainly not to be taken lightly or ignored, you will find the the prevailing opinion on these boards is that the size, capabilities and experience of a child should be the guidelines for what ATV they can ride, not some kind of blanket age limit that was designed to limit liability, rather than correctly match a child to an ATV size.

Barring any laws that do actually limit the size of a childs ATV, the best course is for you as a parent to be responsible for training your child to ride safely and to equip them with an ATV that they can safely handle. I find it ironic that my oldest son, who turned 12 a few days ago, is now old enough to "legally" ride his Honda TRX90. Even though he still physically fits on the 90, with six years riding experience and thousands of miles on trails we felt that he was more than ready to borrow his mom's Ozark yesterday for a New Year's Day ride at Royal Blue. In following him on the trails it was easy to see that he was in complete control of the machine - in fact, the Ozark made for a safer ride than if he had been on the TRX.

Jaybee

Old 01-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default age limits

well put. The whole reason the main age thing ever became a problem is because there are good old americans who unlike yourself were buying TRX and LT 250r's for their 11 year old kid with no previous riding experience and blaming the riding companies for the injuries there children obviously sustained. It all stems back to a lack of personal responsibility the US people have continued to display in this money hungary and ruthless society we continue to build. what ever happened to peace, love, and FREEDOM

Old 01-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default age limits

thanks I was just curious because my stepdad nearly had my mom convinced that I could only hand a little firestar 90cc quad and I am 14 WITH previous experience on a Yamaha Timberwolf and I also weigh 120 pnds so I am lucky my gramps bout me a 250!!!

Old 01-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default age limits

i am 16 and truly belive that atvs should be alowed for any person of any age, as long as they are responceable.

Old 01-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default age limits

Here is the Michigan lawand it sucks, I pay for trails, but my kids can not ride on them!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Penalties

Criminal penalties range from a misdemeanor to a felony. Civil penalties can range up to $500. Persons may be held responsible for damage caused by their ORV and ordered to restore such damaged property to the original condition. Additional penalties for operating an ORV under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances can be imposed which are more severe. Serious criminal violations may also result in seizure and condemnation of the ORV.

Restrictions On Young ORV Operators

Visual supervision is defined as having direct observation with the unaided eye and the ability to come to immediate aid of another ORV operator.

Restrictions are in effect on the operation of ORVs by children under the age of 16. There are also specific obligations that fall upon the parents or legal guardians of ORV riders under the age of 16, and upon the owners of ORVs.

1. No person under the age of 16 may operate any 3-wheeled ATV.
2. No child under the age of 10 may operate any 4-wheeled ATV, EXCEPT on private land while performing farm related work operations. This make a lot of sense i.e you can pull a trailer, but not ride on trails. This sounds safe.
3. Children who are 10 and 11 years old may operate 4-wheel ATVs only when ALL of the following conditions exist:
- must be on land owned by the child’s parent or guardian;
- must be under visual supervision (see definition) of an adult;
- must possess a valid ORV safety certificate.
4. Children who are 12 - 15 years old may operate 4-wheeled ATVs only when BOTH of the following conditions exist:
-must be under visual supervision of an adult;
-must possess a valid ORV safety certificate.
5. Children under 16 may operate other ORVs (trail bikes, for example) only when BOTH of the following conditions exist:
- must be under visual supervision of an adult;
- must possess a valid ORV safety certificate.
6. No child under the age of 12 may cross any street, highway or county road while operating any ORV.
7. Children who are at least 12 years old may cross streets and roads (only at right angles). The parents and legal guardians of a child under the age of 16 are legally responsible if they permit the child under their care to violate any of the above. The owner (or person in control) of an ORV is also responsible if his or her ORV is operated by a youngster.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...l#Restrictions

Old 01-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default age limits

hey freakazoid just curious, are you in the lower or upper peninsula. cause i know most ppl up here in the U.P. know of these laws but dont obey them, kids ride whatever there parents will let them, and where ever there parents let them. I say it should be up to the parent, if they feel their child can handle a certain size machine then let them ride

Old 01-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default age limits

none of you should feel that bad because i was reading dirtwheels and this guy from israel send a pic of him jumping 14 feet in the air on his DS650 but for some reason there was this 5 foot metal contraption vertically attached to the back. soon was i to discover that in israel all quads are required to, by law, have roll bars. thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard of. I mean like tractor big metal roll bars. Ill try and get the pic scanned so you guys can see it

Quick Reply: age limits