Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road

so what would they probably do if they catch you on the road and your quad isnt registered?

Old 01-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

More than likely you would get a ticket. Just depends on the cop.

Old 01-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

They would first smile . They might let you go for riding on the road but no registration means you are just asking for a ticket.

Old 01-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

TICKET you americans are so lucky!!!!!lol up here they catch you they right you down and take your bike and impound it if its not registered!and if youve ever tried to register a 17 year old bike thats had like 8 owners its not east!!i have two sets of ex fenders yellow and im getting white or red ones soon,so if i ever get chased by the cops i can just run!and then when they show up at my door ill show them my yellow 4 wheeler "not the white one they wree chasing"
not to mention theyll take your chance to get a licence if your under 16,its happend to a freind of mine...
scott

Old 01-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

IT ALL DEPENDS on what state you live in. I know here in CT (where the state does not provide one single place for you to ride ATV's) there are VERY strict penalties. I know plenty of people who have gotten caught, I'm one of the only ones out of a lot of my friends who have not got caught…. yet. Around here they impound the ATV, you need to pay $75.00 to get it back and you need to go with your parents unless you're 21 or over and you get a large fine... amount depending on the cop, but more so your mouth and attitude towards the officer after he has you caught. Also 2 of my friends got arrested and had to do 8 hours of community service.

Its tough in CT, ill tell you that much, but for example up in Main I'm pretty sure you can ride just about anywhere registered on any road, ect. and stuff like that. And if you get caught without a reg. you would probably just get a ticket, that’s all. But like I said, every state has its different laws and rules and it all depends on which state you're in and your attitude.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I had a trailer load of wood I was pulling behind my Sportsman on the road and a local cop pulled me over. I was about a mile from home and I was sucking up big time, trying not to get a ticket. I told the guy I would get it off the road and stay off. He said "no don't worry about it, go ahead and stay on the road this time, but don't do it again." Wow. If that would have been a State Cop, I would have got a ticket for sure. In Wisconson it sounds like it is the same as Maine. Register your bike and you can take it on the road. That would be sweet!

Old 01-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

yea DRAG, CT can be a Biotch. I got pulled over on my dirtbike when I was 16 and didnt yet have a lisence. I got : 1) driving without a lisence 2) driving an unregistered vehilce 3) driving without insurance 4) engauging in persuit. They towed my bike for 80 bucks too. you want to know how far I was from my driveway when I stopped..... 15 F'in feet. Oh well I got the charges cleared from my record and had to do like 8 hrs comunity service at a soup kitchen. I spend that getting drunk with this 40 year old guy named curtis in the back who worked there, so that wasnt too bad of a punishment. I got pulled over last week by the drug dog cop riding wheelies down my road at like 55 and I just took the helmet of and said i had been working on the carberator and was running ajustments. He just told me to stay off the road. If you have a lisence around here the cops usually will just give you a ticket if you pull over or sometimes they will just let you go. I found out dont run unless they go by you going the opposet direction and you can duck into the woods. There is this one cop officer stori, the one who got me on my bike the first time, who flipped his cruiser chasing a quad like 4 years ago on some dirt road and he is an Ahole about them. he F's everybody he can and even breaks the laws cause your not allowed to chase 2 wheelers or quads cause people have been killed.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

well i was riding around in this big mobile home park and some assho|es called the cops on me so they came to my house and told me if it happens again, my mom will get 5-6 tickets and my quad will be impounded, but he didnt say anything about riding on the road. Also my friend who is 14, the cop was behind him, so he gunned it but he doesnt have brakes so he got stuck in the trail opening and the cop got out and pulled him off the quad and put him in the back seat and got his name and stuff and told him that he would stop at his house later and tell his parents but he didnt. And im 15 and dont have a liscence but i always wear my helmut and try to stay on the shoulder of the road. What do you think will happen if they catch u driving on the shoulder?

Old 01-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

all depends on what the cop's mood is. its really a hit or miss there isnt a science to it. I rode on the road from when I was like 10 or 11 and never got in trouble until i was 16 so i just took my chances. I try to throw it in my truck when i can now. your in NY cant you drive them legally on the road as long as you have a helmet and eye protection? i know you can in upstate newyork.

Old 01-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Man CTATV, I wish Conn. wasnt sooo g@y about ORV's. How far are you from Hartford? I'm about 1/2 hour south of Hartford.

Quick Reply: getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road