Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road

I just have a quick question... and this has nothing to do with anything, but I'm just wondering... roosthrower, how old are you? And dont lie, I just would like to know.
I have nothing to lie about. I will turn 15 in a month and 3 days. I guess that makes me 14. Also I realize that if you run you will get caught eventually. I have actually never ran from a cop. I probably wouldn't ever run either. All the talk up there was a bluff. I don't think I got enough ***** to run. If I ever got pulled over though and the officer sayed that he was gonna impound my quad I would start it up and leave when the officer returned to his car.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Two weeks ago my sons asked me to take them and some friends to the MX track. While loading the trailer one of their friends came flying down the road on his bike and pulled in the driveway. He didn't have a helmet on either. I told him he was welcome to go with us anytime we go to the track (we had seven bikes and my Raptor on the trailer) but he had to do me a favor. I asked that anytime he rode on the street to drive slowly, be respectful of the neighbors, and wear a helmet. I explained to him that we have a rare privelege in being able to ride to the trails or even to someone elses house but that it could be taken away very easily by just one neighbor complaining to the police. Then we all suffer. I think he got it.
Later in the day he admitted that he actually got pulled over by the police on the way to the house. They asked where he was going and he told them my name and that we were loading up to go riding. I'm not sure which officer pulled him over ( we only have 8) but they told him to go on and get there. I hope it was because they knew I would try to fix the problem so they wouldn't have to.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:59 AM
Quad Patrol

First I want to appologize to the forum for writing such a long repsonse.But, I felt it was warranted. Our sport is being damaged by people who don't think of what their actions mean or how it's portray to others. Dan

Glenlivet, As I know it, there is no national policy or in my case department policy to target ATV'ers over larks. It sounds like you might have a problem in your area with larks causing problems. If so, I'd recommend you notify your local jurisdiction so that they can provide direct enforcement to the lark users who are doing what you describe.

Bottom line is atvs were never meant to be operated on public roadways. But, some jurisdictions allow it and some don't. In the state of Ca. we have more laws then we want. Some of them cover registration, equipment, speed and laws for moving violations. There are laws specific to atv's specifically the 38000 section of the Ca. Vehicle Code. But under certain circumstances, other laws, like the ones mentioned above apply to atvs and larks.
To answer some of your questions, Let's look at why vehicles were designed. Electric vehicles or as I have refer to as larks were not made for the same reason as atvs. Larks were designed to provide transportation to someone who is unfortunate that they need help being more mobile, say a handicap person or someone elder. On the other hand, atvs were created for people to have, well?? Fun, or help around the ranch or hunting. They can be used for other things, but for the most part, what you read about in this forum, they are for FUN...
In my 16 years of experience I have yet to see a lark with a K&N filter, aftermarket pipes or anything to make it haul a$$!! For the most part they are used for what they are intended for. I have yet to see someone try to out run a patrol unit with a lark. Now I've seen other things, forklifts, bikes and atvs to name a few, but never a Lark. Outside of a handicap person or elder person, I have not seen anyone trying to be "COOL" screaming down the roadway on a lark.
Now we do have a law on the books that say a vehicle traveling under 25 mph must have an orange placard facing the rear. This is to warn oncoming vehicles. As mentioned above other laws can apply if applicable. Like, within city limits they may or may not be allowed on side walks. Depends on local ordinances. In California, there are no registration requirements for larks, but if an atv is going to be trailered or used on public lands, it must be registered.
So, in leiu of an atv crossing a public roadway at an 90 degree angle to get to the other side, they are not allowed on roadways unles trailered. So, in Ca. if an atv is on the roadway, it does not take much to develop "Probable Cause" to make a traffic stop. Now, how an officer handles it, depends on a lot of variables, ie. training, dept. policies, complaints, on going problems, etc. I have let my share push their atvs home. Now I agree, not everyone is tearing up the street for the most part. But the sheriff's office I work for gets it fair share of complaints from the people in the unincorporated areas we are responsible for. Ranging from atvs riding down the road, to trespassing, to damaging private property, crops, orchards etc. I have yet to recieve a report of someone on a lark doing the same thing.
To answer your question about "scum bags riding at the local ohv park?" Where do you think they ride the stolen atvs? Around here, it's not at the local ohv park. They are riding them on the roads, in the orchards, canals, they are trespassing on property that does not belong to them. They are not going to go where they know an officer might be. So, they are riding where you ride, on the street, breaking the law, just like others who ride where they shouldn't.. So, yes, not everyone riding an atv on the street is a thief or drug dealer, but, until I stop you and determine that, I just don't know, do I?? And yes, I have made those arrests because of atv'ers on the roadway.
It's unfortunate that you had an negative experience with law enforcement 30 years ago. Get Over it, Your attitude doesn't make it right. I just hope that when you decide next time not to stop, that no one, including yourself, is not hurt. Because, majority of the time, when someone runs from the law, only innocent bystanders get hurt.
Bottom line is, if it's illegal don't do it. If you do it and get caught, smile and say you got me this time and take your punishment. And remeber, in America, you can always take me to court.
Hope your next ride is a safe ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

...It's unfortunate that you had an negative experience with law enforcement 30 years ago. Get Over it, Your attitude doesn't make it right. I just hope that when you decide next time not to stop, that no one, including yourself, is not hurt. Because, majority of the time, when someone runs from the law, only innocent bystanders get hurt....

No, mostly the cops ego was hurt. You are trained to use the line: "Bystanders get hurt" in order to garner support from the public.
The bottom line is, when I stopped for police, I was devastated with an unwarranted and undeserved punishment, and when I lost them, I was not. No one was put in danger because of me. I don't know about California, but around here people are not standing around everywhere like chickens at a Cambodian market waiting to get mowed down, it was just me and the cop, and we're not talking about a 100 mile an hour highway chase, it's about me finding a smaller trail to zip into where the cop car cannot go, and where the car stops, the cop stops.
Look, at worst I rode on back alleys and dirt byways or crossed a paved road when no one was around. I wanted to go explore in the back country on my dirt bike (and now on my ATV) Aren't there bigger criminals to apprehend?

In the end it comes down to this: When the enforcement of law is done in an excessive and vindictive manner, it erodes the citizen's respect for the law, all laws, and it's enforcing officers. Don't you realize this? Isn't this taught at the academy? It should be.

By the list of toys in your signature it looks like you are a recreational ATV user as well. Good to see. Doubt I'll ever meet you on a trail but it was good to read your perspective.

p.s. The earlier part of your post seems to condense into: "If it's for fun, it's ticketable." Doesn't this strike you as odd?

Mike

Old 01-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

so if i get an orange flag on the back of my quad, then i can ride on the road as long as i go under 25mph?

Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

here in michigan there are a couple of different laws, I am originaly from the upper pen. and up there you can ride an orv on any county road or right into town to gas stations and even bars as long as you are not on a state highway.... cool eh?.....now downstate here in lower michigan you would get busted for riding on county roads.....as I sit here we got about 8" of snow and snowmobiles a flying up and down my road to get to the river, however police do not even attempt to stop anyone, I think it is a bunch of bull that they favor one orv over another, keep in mind I do own snowmobiles also... it just goes to show that if you lobby groups together and fight for something, you can get your rights like in the U.P., it is nice to ride in the U.P. and not always have to be turning around and get ready to run from cops!!!!!!! I am 38 years old by the way!!

Old 01-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Quad Patrol

Glenlivet, We both have totally different views on this thread. And I also doubt we will not see each other on a trail somewhere, If for some reason we do, the first round is on me. In closing, I hope that you continue to arrive home safely after all your rides. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Dan

Old 01-15-2004, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

Private message for you, rescuediver

Old 01-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Quad Patrol

Glenlivet, got it. If we ever meet, first couple of rounds are on me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]