Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

All I'll say is that diff lock would be nice, but I don't think it is needed. I have yet to be anyplace that I didn't make it through and a machine with diff lock did.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sullivad
How much help is that differential lock that the Kodiak has? I drive in a lot of snow and get stuck from time to time with my Honda where I can see just the one front wheel spinning. Just had an experience this last weekend where I did not make it quite to the top of any icy hill and ended up sliing back down about 100 ft (scary). Wondering if the diff lock would have made the difference.
I don't know if diff. lock would have made the difference there, but you would have had two more wheels actively grabbing. Ice is always tricky.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Probably none. The only time I felt I neede one I looked over to see my buddy on his Prairie (589s and diff lock) sliding down backwards on the same hill I was sliding down backwards.
I know when I pull out of a hole both front wheels are throwing a steady stream of mud out in front of me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The guys who have em love em, but I think they just get used to it and lose a lil confidence when they dont have it.
I believe simplicity rules, just like the Eiger! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eiger2
Probably none. The only time I felt I neede one I looked over to see my buddy on his Prairie (589s and diff lock) sliding down backwards on the same hill I was sliding down backwards.
I know when I pull out of a hole both front wheels are throwing a steady stream of mud out in front of me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The guys who have em love em, but I think they just get used to it and lose a lil confidence when they dont have it.
I believe simplicity rules, just like the Eiger! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
As many times as I've been to Tellico, I have yet to see a Hybrid or rock crawling Jeep that didnt have Lockers in the front and the rear! Same would apply to ATV's, especially in rock crawling situations, I know for a fact there are circumstances where a diff-lock could make all the difference, Eiger 2 will post is heart out to get you to buy the eiger, the fact is, with the Yamaha Kodiac 450, you have the OPTION to have either 2WD, 4WD(limted slip JUST LIKE THE EIGER) ****OR**** differential lock, my point is you have everything the eiger does and something it doesnt!!! Should be a rather easy decision!

Old 02-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

I was the first one in my group of people that I ride with alot to have a front diff.lock and I could put them in places that they could not get out of with out the diff-lock. One example is high center yourself on a stump and have only one front tire on the ground and see if you can get off. I am not saying that you COULDN'T but on the kodiak I just lock in the diff and off I come. They would sit on the stump and piviot on the stump because both front tires aren't grabbing. Anytime you have only one front tire on the ground and the other is in the air just spinning you only have 2wd. One of the things that I would not give up now that I have it is the front diff-lock. I do ride alot and I have seen first hand the difference the diff-lock makes! This is one option that I WOULD NOT overlook!

Old 02-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said before, it is a great option, BUT I have yet to really need it. When that situation comes, them I'll change my mind. Both are great machines, ridem' and see which one fits you better.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MuddyEiger
Like I said before, it is a great option, BUT I have yet to really need it. When that situation comes, them I'll change my mind. Both are great machines, ridem' and see which one fits you better.
I think the point me and Lafngas are trying to make is that there ARE circumstance you can come across where it may be required!!!

MuddyEiger, but isnt it a nice thought where if the regular 4x4 system doesnt get you through that you always have the diff-lock there if you need it???

Old 02-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not opposed to the diff lock. I just don't feel it is the most important item for most people. I don't rock crawl. I ride trails. If I had a diff lock I'm sure I would use it.

BTW I will post my heart out on almost ant topic, its winter and this is where the only atv action is going on.

Yes, I love my Eiger but I wont say its for everyone. I'm not trying to make anyone buy the Eiger, If I were to try to sell something it would be a Kawazuki Prairie 700! If Honda would ever come out with this machine I would go straight there and get it today!!

It still comes down to the fact that you have to sit on em yourself and ride em.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you 100% TellicoGriz. When that time comes, I will be the first to post out here that diff lock is a feature that is necessary.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Range Rover

Was riding my Eiger yesterday. I have 26" MudLites and a Warn 2500lb winch. Got Wedged in a ditch that was about 6 feet wide and 6 feet deep. I ride this area a lot.(It is a creek bottom that floods all the time) The last 2 feet or so in depth was full of this mud/rotting leaf mixture that was really nasty. The only tire that had any hope of getting traction was the left front, and it wasn't moving(All others were spinning with very little, if any traction). A little rocking, and she finally came out. Front locking differential would have probably helped. If I was on a tight budget, I would opt to spend $400 bucks for a good winch. I know the winch is gonna get me out, dont know for sure about that extra wheel spinning.

Just my thought

Quick Reply: considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better