Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

I posted a similar request for assistance in the Yamaha forum.

I am considering a second machine. Already own a Honda 400 Rancher. I am basically looking between the Suzuki Eiger and the Kodiak in the auto transmission model. Both a very similar in features and cost. I was wondering if any folks out there had experience with these machines and could give me any advice.

I use the bikes for off road pleasure riding only and am not a very aggressive rider, however have lots of steep slopes, mud and snow to contend with. Reliability is as important as performance because of the remoteness of the trails I go on.
thanks for any advice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I own an Eiger and ride with a Kodiac. They are both great machines. All I'll say is that I DO ride very agressive and have had no problems with the Eiger (had dirt in the carb but I do not consider this a big problem, draind it and it was fine). The Eiger hangs with any machine in the woods (rock, mud, etc.). The power is great, handling is very good, and it is a very comfortable ride.

Ride both and then make your decision. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Kodiak 450 is probably a slightly better machine than the Eiger. A little more power and a few more features. Also carries a $900 higher price tag. Either one is a fine machine, I'd check to see how you fit each machine and then consider the price difference to decide.

Jaybee

Old 02-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

love my 450 kodiak but must say that the Eiger is a nice machine also! ride with a guy that has one and didn't see a big difference in power he can hang with me just fine as well as I can hang with him. Good luck ...I don't think you could wrong with either!

Old 02-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys; they do look pretty close. Yamaha is liquid cooled and has electronic shift to 2wd about $200 more, Eiger has low range and seems a bit heavier (actualy about 45 lbs more). I guess the best way is to try both.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thekodiak has low range as well

Old 02-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

If you get the Kodiak 450 you will also have the option of differential lock! A definate plus!

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I would definitely sit on em for more than a few minutes. Maybe even ride em for a while. I haven't sat on a kodiac but I know the Eiger is low and a little wide.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, the Eiger is the funnest machine I've ridden and very capable of handling anything you will throw at it.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

How much help is that differential lock that the Kodiak has? I drive in a lot of snow and get stuck from time to time with my Honda where I can see just the one front wheel spinning. Just had an experience this last weekend where I did not make it quite to the top of any icy hill and ended up sliing back down about 100 ft (scary). Wondering if the diff lock would have made the difference.

Quick Reply: considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better