Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better

I know what you mean about that winch. Was out riding sunday and definitely could have used one myself! Got burried a couple of times and it took a bit to get out!

Old 03-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

A winch is an awesome security feature. Especially if you ride alone in remote areas. Would definitely recommend for everyone.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Whatever the extra money for the locker is it would be so much better put toward a winch. A winch and a locker is prolly an unbeatable combo but so is 2wd and a winch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sullivad, I too looked at both the quads you are looking at and found that I wanted the Kodiak 450 over the Eiger for 2 reasons; 1. The Eiger has a drum brake in the rear and I owned a King Quad and the rear brakes were constantly going out and it is the same brake system on the Eiger. 2. The lack of a dif locker on the Eiger was a big drawback, once again back to the King Quad, it had a dif locker and helped me thru many a bad situation and also helped me to pull very heavy loads up steep mountains. Yes the price was higher for the Kodiak450.

I was wondering when you said "The Eiger has low" but you did not say the same about the Kodiak, is this because you are referring to the Kodiak 400. If so, then go with the Eiger because it does have low gear range and the Kodiak400's do not. Both quads then would have the same brakes but you would be one up on the Kodiak in the mudholes with the low range gearing. I have a friend who bought a 2003 Kodiak(closeout) and I am curious how long his belt will last when he tries to pull the same loads thru the bogs as mine and our other friends 2001 Kodiak400 that has low range, time will tell.

At least you are asking real riders and owners rather then the dealers, since alot of times they will tell you(insert quad) it is the best thing since sliced bread. AKBoy.

PS. A winch goes along ways when you are stuck rather then wishing you had one after you are stuck.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Range Rover

Eiger2 ,MuddyEiger, Eigerrider 04. Yes , according to TellicoGrizzly diff-locks are the bomb. But I have yet to get stuck with the reliable ,affordable Eiger and I had 600$ bucks I was able to spend on options. and i really put it to the test this week. Also, if I was going to spend alot of money I too would go with Kawasuki 700. Especially after watching my daughter blow past a Grizzly on a little bitty but expensive Honda Foreman. But the Grizzly owner claimed he needed a tune-up. He came back to say "well if I had my Raptor , I'd beat all your a$$es" But I forgot, I am just a weekend warrior, it was still nice as I was drinking a cold one, to watch my 12 year old roost a Grizzly. Me , I don't have the ego. I could care less. I ride , I relax, and enjoy the scenery.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eigerbever
Eiger2 ,MuddyEiger, Eigerrider 04. Yes , according to TellicoGrizzly diff-locks are the bomb. But I have yet to get stuck with the reliable ,affordable Eiger and I had 600$ bucks I was able to spend on options. and i really put it to the test this week. Also, if I was going to spend alot of money I too would go with Kawasuki 700. Especially after watching my daughter blow past a Grizzly on a little bitty but expensive Honda Foreman. But the Grizzly owner claimed he needed a tune-up. He came back to say "well if I had my Raptor , I'd beat all your a$$es" But I forgot, I am just a weekend warrior, it was still nice as I was drinking a cold one, to watch my 12 year old roost a Grizzly. Me , I don't have the ego. I could care less. I ride , I relax, and enjoy the scenery.
A Honda Forman beating a Grizzly!!! Come on now Eiger beaver!! The grizz isnt that much slower than the Prairie and out of all the utes the Grizz is the only one that can semi keep up with it!

Old 03-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

It could have been a foreman Rubicon and a 600 grizz (isn't that what they were?) And its so refreshing to hear tellico admit that the 700 is faster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But we all know that speed isnt everything, handling is. (rider too, when racing!)

"drinking a cold one" my favorite thing to do after a long day of riding. AHHHHHHHHH!

Old 03-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

I ride w/ buddies who have a grizzly 660 and a kodiak 450, both automatics, 4x4, low range, locking diffs. I am the cheap bastard who went w/ the eiger. It was a tough choice not to get the kodiak 450. IMO, the 450 is superior to the eiger (disk brake in rear, locking front diff, macho digital dash display, powder coated racks, adjustable shocks, liquid cooled). However, it was $1000 more than the eiger at the time I was looking. Sitting on both machines, very similar other than the eiger having a wider, more comfortable seat for MY ***. We both have similar mileage/hours on our machines. He has had some problems covered under warranty by a great dealer (both yam & suz) for a seal leak in rear driveshaft and a loose steering assembly. I have had no problems yet w/ the eiger. We trade atvs every so often while riding - very equivalent machines. I dont ride as hard on his because I would rather break my machine than pay for his. Bottom line, get what you can afford and ride like hell (and as usual, tread lightly and be courteous to others on the trail). Now go take on the day.

joe.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

TGrizz, I know the Grizzly would of blown her away if the guy took care of and maintained his quad, it was almost like he a govenor on the sucker. As for me, I rode my father in laws Grizz(new) And I personally like it better than his Polaris 500. As for me, I've ride with alot of Utility Veterans, they pretty much all agree Grizzlies are good, but they all would rather Polaris 700EFI. I picked Zuki because Yamaha's lower end models didn't impress me and I won't spend the money on a Grizz, a Vinson, or Polaris 500.

Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: eigerbever
TGrizz, I know the Grizzly would of blown her away if the guy took care of and maintained his quad, it was almost like he a govenor on the sucker. As for me, I rode my father in laws Grizz(new) And I personally like it better than his Polaris 500. As for me, I've ride with alot of Utility Veterans, they pretty much all agree Grizzlies are good, but they all would rather Polaris 700EFI. I picked Zuki because Yamaha's lower end models didn't impress me and I won't spend the money on a Grizz, a Vinson, or Polaris 500.
I wished my Yami had EFI, but I am sure that the first year models are sure to be plagued with problems till they get the bugs worked out, to be honest, I think we are ginny(spellling?)pigs, and whatever the people bring into to the dealer to get fixed they take a note of it for the next years vehicles!! LOL! I have only bought 1 brand new first year production bike and that was my YZ450F but it was so similar to my 426 that it didnt have much problems!

Quick Reply: considering an Eiger but is the Yamaha better